ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-21-2005   #41
Patton

Default Re: Brake Pads

Never heard of them.

Thanks for the Hawk tip Jeff, my buddy daily drives and autoX's his Miata and SWEARs by the HAWK HP Plus.
Old 11-21-2005   #42
Jeffvette

Hawk HP+ will eat your rotors quicker, dust a lot more, and I mean A LOT.

They need to be warmer to work effectively. They will squeel more as well.
Old 11-21-2005   #43
Patton

Sounds like you know your stuff, Who'da thunk it?
His sentiments exactly. I can bare testiment to that fact as well, for my application It seems the Hawk HPS's are the perfect choice! Im slappin em on this weekend. Wish me luck that I dont oops something.
Old 11-21-2005   #44
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton
Sounds like you know your stuff, Who'da thunk it?
His sentiments exactly. I can bare testiment to that fact as well, for my application It seems the Hawk HPS's are the perfect choice! Im slappin em on this weekend. Wish me luck that I dont oops something.
I thnk you'll be happy with the HPS pads.

Mika, never tried the EBC.

Last edited by Jeffvette; 11-21-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2005   #45
Patton

Well, mission accomplished,... almost. I misplaced my chilton service manual so I winged it,... Never doing a brake job before made it even more unnerving. On the first wheel I actually took the caliper brace off of the wheel instead of just removing the cotter pin!! HAAA! I felt like a moron when I undid the bolts (they were put on with some SERIOUS torque) only to find the cotter pin right after. So the first wheel took me extra long. But the experience was well worth it as the second wheel was a breeze. No problems except for one of the rubber boot looking coverings that the pistons have was a little torn up. Nothing was leaking from it at all, but should I consider repairing/replacing the caliper?

I ran out of daylight before I could do the rears,... will complete tomorrow.

For anybody wondering how long a do it yourself brake job takes, It took me two hours to do the first wheel, and one to do the second. But I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and I take extreme caution and care, especially when I am in uncharted territory. The vast majority was just studying it because I didn’t have a book to tell me what to do next.
Tomorrow I suspect It will take me somewhere in the ballpark of 30 minutes for each wheel.

Thanks for all your help guys!