ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-03-2009   #11
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Deaded Idle Surge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgreg View Post
This should have been a recall and not just a Service Bulletin ! Hard to find an owner of a 90 or 91 Z with the original Memcal that hasn't had high idle problems and hard hot cranking.
I agree Greg but at this point with the expection of the 163 mile 90s showing up latley most have replaced the chip already. But I concur it should have been a safety recall. Something tells me if the car was automatic it would have been due to lurching events.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #12
tomtom72

Just an observation, the date on the TSB is 2/94. I'll bet there had to have been complaints or something. It seems to have taken quite awhile for the software guys to figure out a soloution; or not too many 90 owners were driving their cars and complaining?

My 90 had 7400 on it and still had the OEM PROM in it, that was my first "Mod".....I should have bought two as cheap as they were from GM. Sheeeish, I'm soooo dumb sometimes. They were like $34.00 each! Now I have to give it up to have Mr. Haibeck redo it when I get my headers installed as he said that is the better of the two programs to write to.
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #13
Jarek5_7

can anyone see if its a updated bin? what xfire posted?

two days ago when finally weather let me drove the Z, I took a spin. the car runs strong and full power comes on and really pulls great. after cold start rpms go down to reasonable cold engine rpms but after short drive it idles ok but after engine gets warm it idles very high. it makes me MAD, I really think I have no vacuum leak , I checnged injectors, plenum gaskets, tb gaskets, checked vac hooses, put in new pcv valves, new check valves under plenum etc.

while slowing down to stop on neutral it idles around 2k rpms !! and hold it for a while at stop and then starts after 2 sec to drops by steps but not to desired level.

this is the most annoying thing in the car, I will be so happy when I fix it....
Old 03-03-2009   #14
vettn71

Daryll

The car has never backfired; has always run as smooth as a baby's behind. I know it has the original plugs (15xxx miles), so they probably need to be changed out, but that's a different issue. I'll have to get under there and check all those hoses. Nothings been off, nothing has been changed. ?????
vettn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009   #15
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek5_7 View Post
can anyone see if its a updated bin? what xfire posted?

two days ago when finally weather let me drove the Z, I took a spin. the car runs strong and full power comes on and really pulls great. after cold start rpms go down to reasonable cold engine rpms but after short drive it idles ok but after engine gets warm it idles very high. it makes me MAD, I really think I have no vacuum leak , I checnged injectors, plenum gaskets, tb gaskets, checked vac hooses, put in new pcv valves, new check valves under plenum etc.

while slowing down to stop on neutral it idles around 2k rpms !! and hold it for a while at stop and then starts after 2 sec to drops by steps but not to desired level.

this is the most annoying thing in the car, I will be so happy when I fix it....

Jarek,

The bin I posted is an updated one. It uses the AFA Mask ID which is an update to the original AF Mask ID. GM added some code to all the ZR Masks at one point and came out with "A" versions of them. The BFXB won't work well with the AF Mask. I also compared the BFXB v BRXB bin.
They are nearly identical with slight changes in Injector Bias v Battery Volts, and in some of the Knock calibrations. Both also have slightly lower IAC steps v Coolant than the stock bin which is probably part of the fix they incorporated.
You can burn these bins and install, or you could take stock bin and make mods to drop the idle sooner/quicker and not raise it when coolant temps increase.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #16
tpepmeie

BRXB is not a factory ZR-1 broadcast code. If it is that close to BFXB, then I suspect somebody has just renamed it. The Mask ID nomenclature ("AFa" vs. "AF", and so on) is not a GM term. Rather, it was coined apparently by TunerCat as a means to differentiate the various versions of a calibration within the same year. The Program ID byte still appears as AF in the calibrations, even though they are different programs.

Todd
tpepmeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009   #17
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepmeie View Post
BRXB is not a factory ZR-1 broadcast code. If it is that close to BFXB, then I suspect somebody has just renamed it. The Mask ID nomenclature ("AFa" vs. "AF", and so on) is not a GM term. Rather, it was coined apparently by TunerCat as a means to differentiate the various versions of a calibration within the same year. The Program ID byte still appears as AF in the calibrations, even though they are different programs.

Todd
Todd,

Thanks for that clarification. Have you had a chance to verify whether the bin I posted is correct?
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote