ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-05-2008   #1
Aurora40

Default Brake rotor "runout"

I believe runout is the term. Anyway, when I spin the front driver's side rotor, it will drag on the inside brake pad on one area of the rotor. There is clearly some variation in where the rotor is in relation to the caliper as the rotor spins.

So what I did was mark the area where it seemed to drag. Then I pulled the caliper off and took the rotor off. I spun the rotor on the hub 144 degrees (two lug nuts) and locked it down again with two lug nuts. I put the caliper back on. This is a fixed caliper, so it shouldn't have moved in relation to where it was previously. I then rotated the rotor and marked where it drags. The drag mark had moved about the same amount as I rotated the rotor.

This means it's not the rotor that has the variation, correct? Or is that not a valid way to check? Also, if it's not the rotor, what would it be, the wheel bearing? Or just the mounting area isn't flush or something? I guess I figured if the bearing were out of whack, it would still rotate properly, but the whole rotor might be at an angle when rotating.

I tried shaking the wheel top to bottom, and it didn't appear to have any movement.

From dealing with shims the last few weeks, I'd guess the runout in terms of how far it moves from the pad would be in the area of 0.01-0.02". Not a lot, but clearly visible. My guess is this wouldn't be hugely problematic, but I'd like to fix it.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #2
karterdon

Default Re: Brake rotor "runout"

Check the mating surfaces of boththe rotor and the hub make shure that there is not a piece of dirt / excess metal / burr ot somthing that would cause the rotor not to sit completely flush. For grin sake - Take your old rotor if you have one and see what you have. - Run out on the wheel beering and hub should be .000 you may have some slight deviation / run out on the rotor a couple of thousandth .002 is very permissable - The only correct way to measure is to use a dial indicator and not shims or a feeler guage. You might even want to take a piece of emery cloth and clean both mating surfaces of the rotor and the hub.

Good luck.

Don Yoakem
91-#267
Dark Red Met.
karterdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008   #3
Jeffvette

Default Re: Brake rotor "runout"

It does sound like you have a piece of garbage sitting on the flange or the base of one of the lugs.

I agree with Don on proper measurement.