ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-03-2008   #11
tomtom72

Default Re: Lowering a ZR1

Generally, I'd love to get rid of that 4x4 look at the rear, but I understand that the rake is needed for stability???

I'm with Dave & GC.....where I live the roads have eaten three air dam sets in 3 yrs of driving....the center takes a real beatin' and the OEM stuff ain't cheap....new set for the spring is a cheap knock off.

I'll bet your car will look real nice with what you have planned. Good luck with your project!

1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #12
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIZNHRZ
You are thinking it through correctly. If I go with my most recent plan, I'll use 19X10 wheels with 285/35-19 tires on the front and 19X12 wheels with 345/30-19 tires on the back. The front diameter will be 1.19" larger; the back will be 1.30" larger. The larger diameter will raise the car and close the gap between the top of the tire and the inside of the fender. I don't want to raise the center of gravity of the car so if I go with this plan I would lower the car approximately .5"
Well, I don't know really, but I'd think if you took ~1.1" out of the front wheelwell (.6" from the wheel/tire and .5" from lowering), that there really won't be much room for suspension travel, and that if the tire contacts something it is more likely to be the rigid and splinter-prone hood and not the flexible forgiving wheel well.

I don't think I'd want to do that on my car unless the springs were firmer to make up for the lack of travel? But I don't really know, I'm just thinking out loud.

At least you could always put the wheels/tires on it and see how you like it, and lower it later. The idea of losing some fender gap without really losing ground clearance is kinda nice though.

Edit: also, man that's some meat on the rear. 345's!
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 01-03-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #13
mrzzzr1

Question Re: Lowering a ZR1

[QUOTE=HIZNHRZ]New tires and wheels are going to lower my ZR1 1.19" in the front and 1.30" in the back.
- How difficult is it to lower the OE suspension of a ZR1?
- Anyone have destructions for lowering?
- How do I adjust to front end alignment after lowering?
Did you ever get the answer you were looking for and what was did you end up doing? Do you recommend it to others?

I wouldn't mind lowering my 90 ZR1 a bit if it does not hurt street driving too much. Don't want to get too radical though because I drive > 90% street and occasional track.
vin #2433
mrzzzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #14
Z51JEFF

[IMG][/IMG]I just did mine about 3 weeks ago.I used an adjustable front spring from VB-P.Car came out really nice.The way it sits right now is as low as its going to get.Its not so low that I cant go over a speed bump.The front spoiler skims the ground coming out of a parking lot sometimes but not enough to fold the spoiler back.As far as ride goes the back bounces a little on the freeway but Ive got a rear shock that is leaking so thats not helping.

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 06-05-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote