ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10 Hours Ago   #1
ScottZ95ZR1

Default Front Brakes Locked - Seeking Advice

Both front brakes locked up on my '92 and upon opening the right front caliper bleeder, both wheels freed up..... so I think this indicates I have a hydraulic issue verses mechanical problem within the brake calipers.

Brake hoses were upgraded to steel-braided lines back in '95 so these are not the old rubber hoses. And it seems very unlikely that both sides would fail at the same time. I think failed hoses are not my issue but I have ordered new stainless hoses from DRM.

I flushed brake fluid by pulling 2 quarts of fresh DOT-4 through system using a compressed air vacuum tool. After bleeding the calipers (RR, LR, RF, then LF) using same tool, I had good firm brake pedal that would hold for a couple minutes without softening. I put wheels back on car for short, neighborhood test drive.

Brake pedal remained firm (felt normal - GOOD!) and I felt ABS do self-test as car accelerated. Brakes felt and seemed to function perfectly at first.... but after applying brakes several times within short distance of about 100 yards, I felt brakes start dragging again so parked her. Both sides drag then lock up equally; the car never pulled to either side and brake light on DIC is not illuminated. At this point the pedal is hard (no longer just firm).

With key off I have hard pedal and when engine is started, I feel brake pedal soften a bit as expected. I think this indicates my Brake Booster is still good, so I next moved to the Brake Booster Check Valve. Unfortunately, the check valve appears to be good; I am only able to blow through intake end with no flow from booster side. I never thought I would be so bummed out by a suspected part testing good. 😊

I have sourced a new Master Cylinder but think I'd experience soft/spongy pedal if that was my problem.

Not sure where I focus next and welcome feedback/advice from the many here smarter than me......most everyone here qualifies!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by ScottZ95ZR1; 10 Hours Ago at 09:10 PM.
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Hours Ago   #2
Mikey

Default Re: Front Brakes Locked - Seeking Advice

Maybe an issue with the ABS controller?
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Hours Ago   #3
-=Jeff=-

It sure I can offer anything yet, but wanted to say HI
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Hours Ago   #4
ScottZ95ZR1

OMG.

After chasing this for a month I think my floor mat was interfering with brake pedal travel. I hope to confirm (admit) this was my issue in the morning.

I should pay closer attention to FSM details. When I recover from the "why did I not find this sooner" humility I am feeling tonight I will at least have fresh brake fluid.....
Old 8 Hours Ago   #5
ScottZ95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
It sure I can offer anything yet, but wanted to say HI
Howdy Jeff - hope all is well for you and your family. I hope to visit Chicago in the not too distant future and will reach out when that happens.

I retired two months ago so time to have fun!
Old 1 Hour Ago   #6
Thomas ZR-1

DOT3 is the correct fluid...not DOT4. DOT4 is chemical much more aggresive so the rubber seals in the master cylinder are swelling and so: system blocked. Release the 2 nuts that are connecting the master cylinder to the brake booster and you will see: the systems is unlocked again...but don`t try a test drive with an unfixed master cylinder.