ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 18 Hours Ago   #1
plissken97

Default My first (and last I hope !) backfire

Hi guys,

I'm Julien, I live in France and I owned for 4 years now a beautiful black 1990 ZR-1.

I made this backfire last friday...
My SES light came on.
I got 3 fault codes after my diagnosis : H33 H45 H65.
I solved 2 codes which were the H33 and H65 by putting in place the MAP sensor hose at the back of the plenum.

Unfortunately, it remains my SES light with a H45 code.
It says "Oxygen Sensor (System Rich)".

Can you help me to solve this issue ?

Thanks a lot.

Julien
plissken97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Hours Ago   #2
tccrab

Default Re: My first (and last I hope !) backfire

Julien:

The backfire might have popped off the pvc hoses when it popped off the hose on the Map sensor.
Also check the fuel regulator vacuum hose, it lives on the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator.
And your Map sensor might be still leaking a little, especially if the hose has gotten soft over the years.
If the Map sensor isn't working right, it will cause the motor to run rich will cause the codes you're still seeing.

https://www.jerrysgaskets.com/hose-m...ew-90-95-13d4/

Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]

Last edited by tccrab; 14 Hours Ago at 09:23 PM.
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Hours Ago   #3
plissken97

Hi Crabs, and all the members,

Thanks for your reply.

I double-checked all these hoses, and they are okay. I noticed that when I turn the ignition on without starting the V8, the vacuum pump on the passenger side, near the front right wheel, keeps running : it starts/stops 3 secondes then restarts/restops etc.

However, I decided to start the engine, and it runs very well. There's no SES light, and the car seems to be in great condition (the car idle is ok : 700/750 rpms), although I haven't driven it on the road yet due to the bad weather in Paris in order to be sure that all the horsepower are delivered.
I ran another diagnostic test and there are no more codes.

I am a bit worried about the vacuum pump running continuously.

If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a lot et thank you all.

Julien

Last edited by plissken97; 2 Hours Ago at 08:55 AM.
Old 1 Hour Ago   #4
A26B

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak, likely in the Secondary Port Throttle (SPT) System. There is a rubber hose connection, near the alternator, in the hard plastic line from the vacuum pump to the SPT system. Disconnect the line there.

Key on- Engine off, put finger on end of hose going to the vacuum pump to isolate the pump from the SPT system. The pump should only run a short time and stop until you release your finger. If this is the case, the vacuum leak is in the SPT system. Re-connect the hard plastic line.

Before removing the plenum, Remove the vacuum line from the pipe located on the driver side of the plenum at the center. Key on, Engine off, plug the removed hose. If the vacuum pump stops and/or the stop cycle is significantly longer between starts, the problem is likely the check valve under the plenum is faulty. If not, then the leak is under the plenum.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 52 Minutes Ago   #5
plissken97

Thanks Jerry for your feedback, this is really appreciated.
I will try your tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post

Before removing the plenum, Remove the vacuum line from the pipe located on the driver side of the plenum at the center. Key on, Engine off, plug the removed hose. If the vacuum pump stops and/or the stop cycle is significantly longer between starts, the problem is likely the check valve under the plenum is faulty. If not, then the leak is under the plenum.
In these both cases, whatever the problem is, it seems that it is are located under the plenum !