ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Erik

Default Heading To The US - Try a Different Oil? BradPenn?

Going to be down in the US next week, and was going to take advantage of the vastly greater options available for auto parts. The last two oil changes, I used Mobil 1 European Car 0w-40, as my previous Z-Rod wasn?t quickly or reasonably available.
However, as I?m going to be in Detroit, I thought I?d grab something that I can?t easily, or affordably, get up here. BradPenn/ PennGrade isn?t easily available up here, and I know many have recommended it for our Zinc loving engines. Any other recommendations?

Oh yes, and a few Wix filters too!

Any thoughts are appreciated.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
hotroddaddyo

Exclamation Re: Heading To The US - Try a Different Oil? BradPenn?

In southeast Texas temperatures, I use AMSOIL 10W40 high zinc in both my ZR-1s and WIX filters.

AMSOIL Premium Protection 10W-40 100% Synthetic Motor Oil
Product code : AMOQT-CA

"High-zinc formula guards against wear
Ideal for flat-tappet cams"

Last edited by hotroddaddyo; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:15 PM.
hotroddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
dredgeguy

Default Re: Heading To The US - Try a Different Oil? BradPenn?

I use Amsoil 10W40 as listed above. Marc Haibeck recommends it and used it when he did my oil change when my car was with him. He said the 10W30 is the one to use if your car sits for long periods of time as it has more rust prevention. If you drive your car, the 10W40 is the one to use. Have heard good things about BradPenn but have never used it.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Going to be down in the US next week, and was going to take advantage of the vastly greater options available for auto parts. The last two oil changes, I used Mobil 1 European Car 0w-40, as my previous Z-Rod wasn?t quickly or reasonably available.
However, as I?m going to be in Detroit, I thought I?d grab something that I can?t easily, or affordably, get up here. BradPenn/ PennGrade isn?t easily available up here, and I know many have recommended it for our Zinc loving engines. Any other recommendations?

Oh yes, and a few Wix filters too!

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Brad Penn ( Penn Grade ) is an excellent choice, as is Amsoil.

I have used that oil (PG) in my ZR-1 for Many years, and used their earlier oils ( Kendall GT )since the 60's.

Stock up!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Brad Penn ( Penn Grade ) is an excellent choice, as is Amsoil.

I have used that oil (PG) in my ZR-1 for Many years, and used their earlier oils ( Kendall GT )since the 60's.

Stock up!

Marty
Wow. I?d never knew that Brad Penn was formerly Kendall. That was serious quality oil when I was a kid.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Erik

The ?living in Canada? tax is a very real thing. A case of Brad Penn, ordered through Amazon in the US, and delivered to Detroit, is $148.40, in Canadian money. The same case of oil, ordered through Amazon Canada would cost $224.19. Hence why I?m shopping for oil in the US of A?.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
The ?living in Canada? tax is a very real thing. A case of Brad Penn, ordered through Amazon in the US, and delivered to Detroit, is $148.40, in Canadian money. The same case of oil, ordered through Amazon Canada would cost $224.19. Hence why I?m shopping for oil in the US of A?.
I see international shipments costing a lot anymore AND customers have to pay customs fees, duty & such up to as much as 50% of the items cost. A simple set of plenum gaskets @ $26.00/set, end up costing a UK customer around $100US, not including duty. Australia & New Zealand costs are even more. Many use 3rd party, forward shipping services.

US Domestic shipping of a 1 lb Priority Mail was $4.85 in 2008, when I started Jerrys Gaskets. Now, in 2024, the same shipment is about $8.30. Sometimes I get an order for a minimal amt, $3 or $4, costing appx $12. However, even if you buy the same item locally, the cost of fuel, time to go & purchase it, plus the sales tax, would cost you more than the shipping. So, all in all its a bargain & much more convenient to have it delivered to your door. I feel for the international ZR-1 guys.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
mlipmd

My car loves that Mobil 1 0W-40 European formula (high ZDDP) and a little over a month ago I bought (2) 5 qt. jugs of it for my next oil change on Bezo's site for $49.94 including shipping to my house.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
Fusion Works

Can you get Driven Racing Oils up there? They have a good oil that will work for you application. The LS30 is what I use in a bunch of different non LS applications, I use the DI oils for direct injected applications, but their 40weight oil should work well for your car.
Fusion Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
rufcar

I live in PA and Brad Penn, now called Penn Grade is made here. Marc H says its a great equal and since I stock it for other cars I use it. In Bulk 3 case lots I paid around 5.50 a qt. not sure what it is at this moment though!
rufcar is offline   Reply With Quote