ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-14-2003   #1
Anonymous

Default Lightweight Flywheel experience

I'm thinking about a spring project for my '94 ZR-1. Last year I installed an X-Pipe and 4.10 gears. This spring I was thinking about a lightweight flywheel and wanted input from others who have done the same. The car is not used for racing and I mostly just zoom around town on the weekends. So, I am not trying to get the most out of it in terms of performance, but am interested in improvements that will make it more fun to drive.Does the lightweight flywheel make a noticable or measurable difference in the horsepower curve? I would really be interested in hearing from anyone who has done a before/after dyno run with a flywheel swap. I know the peak horsepower should not be affected, but lowering the rotating mass should increase the area under the horsepower curve and increase torque.What are your experiences?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003   #2
Anonymous

bans25

I would like to know the same....also how do you like the 4.10's
Old 12-14-2003   #3
Anonymous

The 4.10 gears are a perfect match for the LT-5 engine. Instead of burning my clutch to get off the line, the car just leaps off the line. It also makes 6th gear usable. - Kevin
Old 12-14-2003   #4
Anonymous

Kevin , Can you give me a Fax number ?
Old 12-14-2003   #5
Anonymous

Hi, I have a single mass flywheel in my 91. I did 4.10 gears at the same time (+K&N, exhaust), so it is tough to separate the two effects. But it spools up noticeably quicker now. When it is cool out, I can lose the rear end entering the Interstate in third gear. My tires are old, but this is still a significant increase in usable power.The only downside that I'm aware of is the noticeable rattle at idle when the clutch is out. It sounds like something is loose, but I've been assured that it is not bad for the car. I did a bunch of poking around on this board (and the former board) before doing the work, and 4.10 gears + single mass seemed to be among the most popular swaps. Enjoy!Mike