ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-26-2021   #1
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Radar detector effectiveness if not mounted in cut out

Hello all,

I got the itch to get a radar detector. I know it does not work for instant on situations but I feel it could still be helpful. I picked up the Uniden R3 model based off what appeared to be huge praise for it. I am running the factory windshield still and while it can work in the cutout, I would like to mount it up by the rear view mirror. The detection range on the R3 appears to be very large.

So I am curious if there are members who are running with one high mounted and with the stock solar laminated windshield. If so, how are your detectors working?
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021   #2
Mikey

Default Re: Radar detector effectiveness if not mounted in cut out

It drastically reduces range on my v1 that is mounted behind mirror with blendmount. I?d rate it as ineffective. My windshield is delaminating around the perimeter so I may just go with a non-solar tint replacement.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021   #3
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
It drastically reduces range on my v1 that is mounted behind mirror with blendmount. I?d rate it as ineffective. My windshield is delaminating around the perimeter so I may just go with a non-solar tint replacement.
Do you have any pictures of your blend mount setup? I see they are a thing for C5 through C8 but did not see anything for C4. Sounds like for the time being it will need to be in the cutout. I am clinging to the factory windshield as it is still in decent shape despite the expected perimeter delaminating. I intend to run a wiring harness through the defrost vent.
Old 12-27-2021   #4
Dynomite

I have the K40 UN3000/SW/SWL on my 95'

K40 Front and Rear Radar Detection System
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021   #5
Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
Do you have any pictures of your blend mount setup? I see they are a thing for C5 through C8 but did not see anything for C4. Sounds like for the time being it will need to be in the cutout. I am clinging to the factory windshield as it is still in decent shape despite the expected perimeter delaminating. I intend to run a wiring harness through the defrost vent.
Aluminum Radar Detector Mount for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C6NEGPY...p_mob_ap_share

Blendmount Model BV1-2001R. I will try to remember to send a photo tomorrow
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021   #6
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Aluminum Radar Detector Mount for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C6NEGPY...p_mob_ap_share

Blendmount Model BV1-2001R. I will try to remember to send a photo tomorrow
Thanks! Sounds like I need to wait for the high mount when a new windshield happens. I ended up installing it in the cutout location and hardwired it in. Spliced a ground wire into an existing ground location and hooked the power side to one of the yellow wires coming off the vanity mirrors underneath the glove box insert. So it is only on when key on or car running which is nice.

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 02-23-2024 at 10:34 PM.