ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-06-2020   #1
Jack

Question Purchase Advice

Hello, new to forum, but not to (newer) 'vettes, just need some advice on a potential purchase of this classic.

There is a '91 ZR1 for sale at Eide Ford, Bismarck ND. Have been talking to salesman, about have a deal, but it will be a !,000 mile drive, and I'm in uncharted waters here.

Does anyone recognize the car? anyone want to wade in on wether it is advisable or not?

I have the condition that if a compression check does not come back all 8 over 210 psi and all 8 within 5 psi of each other--no deal. (not great, but better than nothing!)

thanks to any and all Jack

ps bottom line "caveat emptor" but it would be great to have some experience weigh in before I jump off the deep end
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020   #2
efnfast

Default Re: Purchase Advice

After your compression test, he's asking 16, offer him 12. It's a steal at 14, as long as it's in good shape. The pictures look good, why is it missing a piece of trim inside the door? That should be easy enough to replace. Any idea if the engine has been messed with?
I spotted a few mods from the pictures.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020   #3
Jack

thanks, efn I'm at 15 if they'll ship it, will know tomorrow

the mods for drivability or cosmetic? I know they're aftermarket rims, and the shift knob is not right.
Old 12-07-2020   #4
tccrab

Price is about right, even with 83000 miles.
I wonder where the valet key went?
Obviously the aftermarket sound system is too big so they had to move the valet key.
The shift knob isnt stock (ugly too) and by my eye the shifter is quite a bit shorter than a standard shifter. Maybe a B & M or a Bill Budreau short shifter.
I also see an aftermarket claw style intake and filter set under the hood.
The wheels are ok, but dont seem to fit the wheel wells really well. They look to be 18's.
I wouldn't worry too much about the LT5, by all accounts its just getting broken in.

Its got later year '93-'95 exhaust tips, wonder why they got changed?

Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]

Last edited by tccrab; 12-07-2020 at 01:21 AM.
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020   #5
Zman

I would recommend buying one that has the usual items sorted out. I would also recommend seeing the car in person. I have purchased eight C4 Zs in the past two years and sold a couple. If you add $3000 to your purchase price I feel that will allow you to fix the usual stuff and put some good tires on the car. Ironically the cheapest car I purchased was also the cheapest to make right! The only car out of eight cars that didn?t need the average $3000 maintenance was my 95 purchased with 2900 miles. I have the professionals perform all the work on my cars.
Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020   #6
Jack

thanks, guys all good notes and advice