ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-15-2020   #1
Erik

Default Putting Together Energency Jerry's Order - What Under Plenum Parts Should I Get

Turns out the plenum had to come off again, so I need to do a quick order for parts from Jerry's. While I was doing that, I was going to just add any other parts that don't age well once it's off. Already did the Pcv elbow and the and the rubber PCV line for the two valves. The temperature sender is acting weird too, so I'll get that.

Was also thinking:

Vacuum check valve
Spark plug wires

As I'm in Canada, the shipping costs are much higher and delivery times are longer, so I have to plan in advance and shop more carefully then you guys in the US do.

So if you can think of any other parts that don't age well (the two big PCV elbows were hard as rocks), I'll add them to my order this morning!

Thanks

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Putting Together Energency Jerry's Order - What Under Plenum Parts Should I Get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Turns out the plenum had to come off again, so I need to do a quick order for parts from Jerry's. While I was doing that, I was going to just add any other parts that don't age well once it's off. Already did the Pcv elbow and the and the rubber PCV line for the two valves. The temperature sender is acting weird too, so I'll get that.

Was also thinking:

Vacuum check valve
Spark plug wires

As I'm in Canada, the shipping costs are much higher and delivery times are longer, so I have to plan in advance and shop more carefully then you guys in the US do.

So if you can think of any other parts that don't age well (the two big PCV elbows were hard as rocks), I'll add them to my order this morning!

Thanks
I'd contact Jerry Downy (Jerrys Gaskets) to see if he carries an emergency 'under hood kit'.

Except for the vacuum secondary system and maybe the two temp sensors (one for the ECM and one for the temp gauge) the rest you may be able to acquire locally.

If the car has reached 30k miles (48k kilometers) you might buy a pair of starter solenoid "L" contacts to have on hand for when the starter begins to get "wonky". (Very cheap: ~$10 around here for the Denso starter kit)

A vacuum solenoid and a check valve

Maybe a spare coil (or the whole (4) pack & change them all when the first one craps out).

A variety of WEATHERPAC connectors is good to have and some dielectric grease

(Far as maintenance goes, it's amazing how much simpler (and cheaper) the under plenum becomes when the secondary BS is eliminated!)

Spare plenum gasket(s). (Although, if you spray one side of the gaskets with silicone lube, I have found I can re-use them at least a couple of times

Have some BLUE Locktite for the plenum and IH bolts on hand and some RTV for general sealing work. And, have some 3M Adhesive to apply around the coolant port and one side of the gasket of the Injector Housing to prevent it from every squirming and allowing coolant into the intake runner. (Ask me how I know!!!)

You might consider purchasing a drill/tap/plug and plugging the coolant port on the IH to keep coolant out of the Throttle Body, but ONLY if you don't intend to drive the car in the frigid Canuk winters.

Honestly, once you get past the vacuum secondary network, I think the list and items (above) should meet the need of the most paranoid mechanic! YMMV.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-15-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020   #3
Erik

Default Re: Putting Together Energency Jerry's Order - What Under Plenum Parts Should I Get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I'd contact Jerry Downy (Jerrys Gaskets) to see if he carries an emergency 'under hood kit'.

Except for the vacuum secondary system and maybe the two temp sensors (one for the ECM and one for the temp gauge) the rest you may be able to acquire locally.

If the car has reached 30k miles (48k kilometers) you might buy a pair of starter solenoid "L" contacts to have on hand for when the starter begins to get "wonky". (Very cheap: ~$10 around here for the Denso starter kit)

A vacuum solenoid and a check valve

Maybe a spare coil (or the whole (4) pack & change them all when the first one craps out).

A variety of WEATHERPAC connectors is good to have and some dielectric grease

(Far as maintenance goes, it's amazing how much simpler (and cheaper) the under plenum becomes when the secondary BS is eliminated!)

Spare plenum gasket(s). (Although, if you spray one side of the gaskets with silicone lube, I have found I can re-use them at least a couple of times

Have some BLUE Locktite for the plenum and IH bolts on hand and some RTV for general sealing work. And, have some 3M Adhesive to apply around the coolant port and one side of the gasket of the Injector Housing to prevent it from every squirming and allowing coolant into the intake runner. (Ask me how I know!!!)

You might consider purchasing a drill/tap/plug and plugging the coolant port on the IH to keep coolant out of the Throttle Body, but ONLY if you don't intend to drive the car in the frigid Canuk winters.

Honestly, once you get past the vacuum secondary network, I think the list and items (above) should meet the need of the most paranoid mechanic! YMMV.
I do try to buy stuff from Jerry?s or Haibeck?s. Especially in cases like this, where I already have the order coming.

Which vacuum solenoid? I understood the ones available now were problematic.

I?ll add the second temp sensor too. I know the ECM one is flaky.

30 year old rubber parts just get old. They won?t last. And they won?t be anything like what they were when new. You?d never guess that the stone like material of the two rubber PCV elbows was rubber!

And thanks for the help!

Old 12-03-2020   #4
Erik

Gonna send Jerry the order for fuel injectors today. I think I've done near enough everything else under the plenum. While getting the starter sorted out, I'll do the injectors. Wires, coils, all the rubber bits, the little vacuum doohickey, the big rubber Pcv hose, etc.

Anything else you recommend?

Btw, what does the plate under the coil packs do? Other then holding the coil packs in place?