ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-28-2020   #11
tgonyaw

Default Re: How To Find A Good, Local ZR-1 Mechanic

I feel your pain.
I am set up to send mine to Marc the first week of March 2021. Hope to find a cure and then look forward 5 years on a preventative maintenance schedule. There is a local Porsche shop who does track day cars that is willing to be trained on my dime.
I had to go to the local GMC dealer to get my Ignition key read and ordered for a second key! Chevy dealer was not ever ZR-1 certified??
tgonyaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020   #12
secondchance

When these cars were new, LT5s really didn?t need much maintenance since all parts were new and fresh. I recollect LT5 with warranty claim were often replaced with factory crate LT5. Chevy really didn?t want Mr. Goodwrench digging into them.
Also, most LT5 certified mechanics have retired.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020   #13
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgonyaw View Post
I feel your pain.
I am set up to send mine to Marc the first week of March 2021. Hope to find a cure and then look forward 5 years on a preventative maintenance schedule. There is a local Porsche shop who does track day cars that is willing to be trained on my dime.
I had to go to the local GMC dealer to get my Ignition key read and ordered for a second key! Chevy dealer was not ever ZR-1 certified??
That?s my plan too. Getting it to a proper US expert and give it a good going over. Hard for me to book a time, as the border has been closed since March and I have no idea when it will reopen again. The hope is that come summer, I?ll be able to drive her down for a good going over.

The good part is that the rest of the car is C4, which means pretty simple and basically bulletproof.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020   #14
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
When these cars were new, LT5s really didn?t need much maintenance since all parts were new and fresh. I recollect LT5 with warranty claim were often replaced with factory crate LT5. Chevy really didn?t want Mr. Goodwrench digging into them.
Also, most LT5 certified mechanics have retired.
Drive by any "Senior Citizen Residence" (other than in New York), and you will likely hear one older resident saying to another that " yeah, back in the day I was a "CERTIFIED ZR-1 Tech"!
" Never did much but change out pilot bearings and receive a big cool set of tools but DAMN the patch on my shirt was really cool!"

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020   #15
32valvesftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
A good mechanic is near impossible to find these days. Most, all they know is to hook up to OBD port and look for the computer to tell them which component to replace. Fundamental understanding and correlating symptoms to cause seems to have been all but forgotten. We now have white frock wearing factory certified ?technicians? rather than oil and dirt stained mechanics.
This right here is the problem, and it not completely the fault of the techs. I was a tech and most shops will not allow you to take the time to properly troubleshoot anything cause the customer will complain about the bill. Fortunately we have a couple of good resources in Texas. Crossed Flags being my preferred shop for all things ZR-1 & LT5.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote