ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-24-2020   #1
Erik

Default Second Gen FX3 vs Coilovers?

Been doing some reading about the different FX3 systems in the ZR-1, and of course the Corvette teams (McClellan, Heinricy, etc) enthusiasm for the composite leaf spring. Bilstein has always built great shock absorbers, and the second gen FX3 (1992-1996), seems like a very fine system. No huge reliability issues. Great longevity, etc. The only downside to the FX3 seems to be the hit and miss availability of the replacement shocks from Bilstein.

As far as the mono leaf composite spring, it?s two big wins seem to have been in longevity, and light weight. Both of which were bigger deals to GM then to the Corvette buyer necessarily.

I have also read some great write ups on the C4 available coilover systems. I?m sure there are more spring options available with coils then with the composite leafs. Dual rate springs, etc.

So, my question is, keeping in mind that my intended use for the car is as a GT, not a track car (though some weekend auto cross trips could happen, but are very much secondary), so my goal would be good handling, good wheel control, low impact harshness. So basically, a great riding car that also handles very well.

I guess, and unless I?m missing something, it really seems to come down to has spring and shock absorber/damper technology really improved that much over the last 30 years to make the change to coilovers worthwhile for my intended use? And let?s not worry about the price issue now. Would the change to coilovers give me a dramatically better suspension?

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020   #2
32valvesftw

Default Re: Second Gen FX3 vs Coilovers?

The thing you lose going to coil overs is the different modes of operation, EXCEPT if you go with the DRM coilovers which I believe retain the FX3 shocks. Downside to the FX3 is that the shock actuators are getting old, so if you are replacing the FX3 shocks with new, I would strongly consider getting the FX3 actuators rebuilt at the same time. It's about 140 per actuator and it will save you grief in the long run.
As for your other question has suspension technology improved that much in 30 years, maybe, but not as far as options for our cars are concerned.
Summary: for street use the FX3 system is more than adequate and probably provides the most comfortable ride.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020   #3
ram_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
So, my question is, keeping in mind that my intended use for the car is as a GT, not a track car (though some weekend auto cross trips could happen, but are very much secondary), so my goal would be good handling, good wheel control, low impact harshness. So basically, a great riding car that also handles very well.
Sorry, not answering your question on coilovers (haven't considered the topic) but have you given any more thought to the dual damper system that came up in another thread? I am seriously giving it some thought - there's an evaluation thread over at corvetteforum that I've added to in terms of pics of the ZR-1 and possible interference/access restrictions to install the system. Also in an email discussion with the vendor, currently awaiting his response.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020   #4
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
Sorry, not answering your question on coilovers (haven't considered the topic) but have you given any more thought to the dual damper system that came up in another thread? I am seriously giving it some thought - there's an evaluation thread over at corvetteforum that I've added to in terms of pics of the ZR-1 and possible interference/access restrictions to install the system. Also in an email discussion with the vendor, currently awaiting his response.
I?ve been talking to them too. Actually, just have to finish my order. Oops, thanks for the reminder. I talked to them at some length, and it seems an interesting product.

Ok, I?ll get it ordered.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020   #5
DRM500RUBYZR-1

FX3 and DRM Coil Overs is nothing short of phenomenal!
I would never go back to the spring.
The ride quality greatly improved, with no degradation of the handling whatsoever, if anything I believe that improved as well.
Seeing that my car came with 3 other sets of springs suggests trial and error to get the right setup, but they sure nailed it!
Not to mention the look on the NCRS judges face when he asked where my springs were.......................

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020   #6
EvanZR1

I have the DRM setup with FX3, and it is good. The ride is probably the biggest gain, but handling is noticeably improved for street use as well. My main concern is the availability of replacement FX3 shocks as time goes on. Also if you want to lower too much, the standard springs that come with the DRM kit are too soft (currently either need to raise mine or change to stiffer springs) and can cause some "bounce" on softer shock settings.

Honestly though, for your stated use as a GT car, I'd just leave the stock suspension alone. I'm not sure it's worth the $$.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote