ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-07-2020   #1
bowtiguy

Default Looking for a C4 shop in the Cookville, TN area for basic clutch/exhaust work.

Long story short, After sitting for 10 years, Marcs shop did a great job of getting my parents 91 Quasar ZR-1 back on the road in quick order for my brother. He had a blast driving it back to TN and turning the big 20,000 in the process. The VERY next time he got in for a spin it is producing, using his description, a spinning pilot bushing.... best I can tell.

He works long hours and does not have access to a lift. Should be a basic fix for just about ANY C4 corvette shop, maybe add C-beam plates while they are in there.

Any recommendations between Nashville and Knoxville?
bowtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020   #2
Mikey

Default Re: Looking for a C4 shop in the Cookville, TN area for basic clutch/exhaust work.

The pilot bushing is pressed in. I doubt it is spinning!
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020   #3
bowtiguy

Default Re: Looking for a C4 shop in the Cookville, TN area for basic clutch/exhaust work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
The pilot bushing is pressed in. I doubt it is spinning!
I am aware of how it was installed from the factory. Per Mr. Heibeck, it appears it can spin.

"The Throw Out Bearing.
We have never seen a noisy throw out bearing. Every time we have encountered aproblem with noise or high frequency vibration when engaging the clutch it was causedby the pilot bearing. About 25% of the ZR-1 pilot bearings fail in a mode where the bronze bushing spins in the crankshaft. These bearings can be removed with a finger.Sometimes they fall out when the transmission is removed. We have had a problem withreplacement bronze bushing spinning in the crankshaft. GM had a problem with the
bronze bushing too. Service bulletin 92-230-6 was issued in June of ?92. It specifies replacement with a fluted bronze bushing. Service bulletin 46-73-02 was issued inOctober of ?94. to specify a roller pilot bearing. GM part number 14061685 AC-Delcopart number CT1078."
Old 10-10-2020   #4
wkndracr2

I can only relate my experience with the ZF6 in my '96 LT4. At the track I heard a spinning/scraping noise inside the bell housing. It was the clutch arm hitting the clutch because the pivot ball was getting loose and interfering, IIRC. In any case I had to go into the bell housing and tighten the pivot ball bolt. It has a two part bolt system sort of, one on each side of the bell housing wall, that tighten into each other. Again, IIRC. It has been years since I repaired it.
wkndracr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020   #5
bowtiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracr2 View Post
I can only relate my experience with the ZF6 in my '96 LT4. At the track I heard a spinning/scraping noise inside the bell housing. It was the clutch arm hitting the clutch because the pivot ball was getting loose and interfering, IIRC. In any case I had to go into the bell housing and tighten the pivot ball bolt. It has a two part bolt system sort of, one on each side of the bell housing wall, that tighten into each other. Again, IIRC. It has been years since I repaired it.
Thank you for that info. Personally, I've done plenty of clutch work in the past but have not played with a C4. Any info going into it will be helpfull. It looks like he my have found a local shop that works mostly on vettes. Hes going to to swing by and check them out. If the car were here in Colorado, I could have done the work but we're 18hrs away from one another.