ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-27-2020   #1
Fast36

Default Starting ignition problem

I'm having a very odd problem starting my 1990 ZR1. The key turns but the car doesn't start. The second time this happened I cleaned the key with restroom soap, the car started, the third time i did the same with no results. I have the car at a local dealership and the problem hasn't occurred. I sent an email to a GM engineer who owns a 1900 ZR and he explained cleaning the key with an abrasive cleaner. Any additional ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich Hobatuk
Fast36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020   #2
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: Starting ignition problem

Try an alternate key.
I always keep a new spare hidden in the car just for such fun events.

Make sure if you have aftermarket floor mats that you try removing them when this happens to make sure that you are getting the clutch all of the way down to override the clutch safety switch.

Observe the volt meter when this occurs. Does the needle deflect when you go from run to start.
If it does not, then you are likely trapped in either the VATS protocol or the neutral / clutch switch protocol.
If it deflects then likely a starter issue.

If the clutch switch is the suspect, there is an override wiring procedure to update your 90.
Search the forum here and you will find it discussed.

If the key was the original culprit, likely still is until ruled out.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020   #3
Ccmano

Welcome... You will have to be a bit more precise on what you mean by "the car won't start". When you turn the key does the engine turn over but won't run? Or when you turn the key nothing happens, the engine won't even turn over. If the later, is there an audible "click" from the engine or do you get absolutely nothing? All of these conditions are not uncommon for these 30+ year old cars but have very different resolutions.

I suspect it's the later issue from what you described. Volumes have been written in these forums on the dreaded "no start issue". If you go to the top of this (technical) section click on the "Solutions" thread. You'll find considerable info on how to resolve the issue.

https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16778

The VATS key, VATS system, the neutral safety switch and the starter itself are all possibilities if you get "nothing" when you turn the key. Based on what we see here the starter itself is the most likely problem.

If you have any technical inclination yourself at the very least educate yourself on this issue and it's possible resolutions. Better yet teach yourself how to resolve it. The local "new car dealer" is last place to take the car. It is highly unlikely they have anyone trained to deal with a 30yr old car let alone a ZR-1. The way they do things will cost you a ton of money and will probably not solve the problem, tho there are exceptions. I know, I was a new car service manager for a number of years. Find a well recommended local corvette shop or if your lucky a known shop with a good ZR-1 recommendations from fellow members. There is a sticky at the top of the "General" section that is a national list of recommended shops.

https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28634

Good luck and keep us posted.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020   #4
dredgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast36 View Post
I'm having a very odd problem starting my 1990 ZR1. The key turns but the car doesn't start. The second time this happened I cleaned the key with restroom soap, the car started, the third time i did the same with no results. I have the car at a local dealership and the problem hasn't occurred. I sent an email to a GM engineer who owns a 1900 ZR and he explained cleaning the key with an abrasive cleaner. Any additional ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich Hobatuk
Having a ZR-1 at a local dealership.....ugh, this is not going to end well. Where are you located? Maybe we have a recommended shop in your area. Let us know.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020   #5
viper107

the vats ignition(keys)switch has tiny micro wires that turn with the switch when starting the car, those wires break and mostly jack with you for a while (sometimes starts)sometimes not until they totaly break and you dead in the water. could be a possibility
95 admiral blue z(sold)/ / 93 ruby z(sold) 91 steel blue z/95 aqua z haibeck 510, 91 callaway 415 areobody #5
viper107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020   #6
Fast36

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. The car was at Hawthorne Chevrolet for more than a week, the car started every time. They only billed me $155.00 but couldn't diagnose the problem. I'll check all the treads here to see if there's a final solution.
Fast36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

For your files: More common ZR-1 "no start" causes...
  • The VATS key/system is but ONE of the more chronic "no start" causes. But, most any key and lock shop can cut you a new key, IF they have a VATS reader OR you have measured the resistance between the contacts; one on each side of the pellet and compared it to the chart (below).
  • Perhaps the more likely of the four biggest "no start" causes is the clutch safety switch on the 90-92 ZR-1s. (in 93+ the starter solenoid current was re-routed from that safety switch alleviating the safety switch as a common issue.)
  • The starter armature contacts actuated by the starter's solenoid (internal to the starter itself) requires periodic (an inexpensive DIY) replacement. (My first one lasted 38k miles before needing service, but YMMV.)
  • There's one more starter relay associated with VATS (see the FSM), but it is rare for that one to ever be an issue. But, it exists, (see schematics) and one should at least be aware of their existence.

NOTE: Reading left to right:

The chart shows the resistance range (measured between the pellet contacts either side of the key) and the corresponding pellet #(number). a spare or two is always a good idea!

The middle schematic is for the 90-92 ZR-1 cars. (ALSO.. There is a DIY relay that can be added to the 90-92 cars essentially incorporating the modification used on the 93-95 cars.)

The schematic on the right is for the 93-95 ZR-1s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VATS resistor CODE.jpg (49.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 90-92 starter circuit trace.jpg (135.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 93-95 starter circuit trace.jpg (150.0 KB, 7 views)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-04-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020   #8
Corvette95

I am still unclear if this is a no crank vs no start (maybe I missed) it. What does your security light do? If its a no crank, could be a heat soak issue with the starter...will take a short-medium drive then let it sit minutes and try to crank it, does it crank after that or not?
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is online now   Reply With Quote