ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-23-2020   #1
WARP TEN

Default Recent BG plant video by Kia Spande plus C8 engineering article

Posted recently on the Stingray Forum--Here is a link to a recent video presentation by Kai Spande the Bowling Green Corvette Plant Manager about C8 production. As one guy said on the Stingray Forum, "Here is a long YouTube video where Kai Spande, the Bowling Green Assembly Plant Manager, takes us through the BG Assembly Plant Update. While it is a long video, it does show you things you normally would not even see if you do the BG plant tour and/or NCM delivery." I am hoping that plant tours are available next spring when we go down to BG for our get together in May.

https://youtu.be/N_pzjIgKV8g

Also, for those interested in the C8, here is a link to an article "Engineering the C8 Corvette":

https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/publ...b9#/9455a1b9/1

And here are comments from the Stingray Forum about one mistake in the article, plus a link to the relevant Car & Driver article:

According to the small block chief engineer Jordan Lee, the following section from the report is NOT correct:

One challenge that has thus far stymied engineers
is a straightforward procedure for replacing the
front-of-engine accessory drive (FEAD) belts.
Doing so requires dropping the entire enginetransaxle
assembly from the car.

Car and Driver (click the link to read the article: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...c8-lt2-engine/ ). Relevant section is quoted below:

Lee also confirmed that the C8 doesn't require any routine engine-out services?often an expensive bugaboo with mid-engined cars?and that the spark plugs and other ignition components, along with the accessory belts that are tucked up next to the passenger compartment at the front of the engine, can be accessed with the engine in place. However, swapping out, say, the oil pump will require dropping the engine.

--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020   #2
rush91

Default Re: Recent BG plant video by Kia Spande plus C8 engineering article

Thanks for the link....I hope as well it's open next year for tours. I haven't been since 1986 when I was in the 6th grade lol. And speaking of C8s, I saw my first one in the flesh this past weekend. Just wow!!
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote