ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-04-2020   #1
bb62

Default A/C Refrigerant

I am trying to add refrigerant to my ZR-1(1995). There was previously under 10 lbs of pressure in the system. On my first 12 oz. can (which is not finished), the gauge reads well into the yellow zone (over 50 lbs). Theoretically I am not supposed to add to a point where the gauge reads in the red zone.

The car itself was turned on with the A/C system on. The A/C system was not cycling at that point at all. With the partial can, I am getting a clicking every 5 seconds or so, but no cold air. Since the system requires 2 lbs (or more than 2 cans) there is no way that it is full so I can get cold air, but why is the gauge nearly in the red. It is 86 degrees here (Fahrenheit). Thoughts?
bb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020   #2
jss06c6

Default Re: A/C Refrigerant

Your description is a little confusing..

Do you have a set of gauges that can read both high and low side pressure? Not sure where you are seeing yellow or red on you're gauges.

Static pressure (compressor not running) on the system after it has completely equalized (high and low side read same) will be around 90-95 psi on a fully charged system.

On an 85 degree day, with a full charge, you should see about 190 - 210 psi on high side and 30-31 psi on low side.

Did you evacuate the system or simply add R134A? If evacuated, did you put a vacuum on the system for about an hour before fresh freon charge?

Did you get a -09 code indicating low freon? If you only had 10 psi, you've got a pretty big leak somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote