ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-17-2020   #11
lfalzarano

Default Re: ZR-1 current market value guide?

Never look at a vehicle as an investment. These cars are meant to be enjoyed. Maybe another 20-30 years from now, they might exceed their original MSRP. Just my opinion,

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 06-17-2020   #12
bowtiguy

Picture of your car looks familiar. Did you purchase it out of Colorado?
bowtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020   #13
bb62

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I posted this over on the CF and thought I would tee it up here as well.

Here is a page from the 2020 Sports Car Market Price that lists their median values for ZR-1s they have seen at auctions. SCM is a great publication that follows auctions around the world and produces a fine magazine each month. But this guide, like any others purporting to show book values are just that--books. The books are guides and nothing more. The value of the car is what it is to you. Back in 2011-2012 I searched for at least six months for a '95 I wanted and paid about $28k including shipping from California to Chicago. Even though it was in overall excellent shape, it had some needs so I had Marc Haibeck go through it and bring it up to good operating condition; by the time I had it up to my requirements I probably had over $30k in it. But it was a good solid car with only 22,000 miles on it and one that I wanted. So I may have over paid but it was the right car and price for me at the time. Of course if you actually catch the ZR-1 virus (much worse that Covid-19) you will discover how easy it is to put in say, another $20k, to get it up to over 500 HP. So when you sell it, someone else will get the advantage of all that investment (so it is always good to look for an already properly modified car done by one of the reputable guys known to the Registry members). Now I got a pretty high price for my '95 in 2016, $37k, but I was out of pocket a fair amount and the new owner got the benefit. But boy was it fun for a few years.....Bob
Interesting that the ZR-1 is listed as an "investment grade" of "C". And yet the Callaways all are rated "Ds" with lower pricing than even the ZR-1s. Listening to some Callaway owners on the net, they seem to be convinced their cars are all 6-figure in value.
bb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020   #14
Norwegianmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiguy View Post
Picture of your car looks familiar. Did you purchase it out of Colorado?
Yes it came from Colorado.

Sent from my SM-G955F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1994 ZR-1 #112 Admiral Blue/Black
Dana 4:10
Aluminum flywheel
Corsa exhaust
Watson headers
Haibeck chip
470 HP/399 RWHP

1991 ZR-1 #400 White/Red (SOLD)
Dana 4:10
Powder coated engine
Haibeck performance chip
Borla exhaust
Norwegianmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020   #15
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I posted this over on the CF and thought I would tee it up here as well.

Here is a page from the 2020 Sports Car Market Price that lists their median values for ZR-1s they have seen at auctions. SCM is a great publication that follows auctions around the world and produces a fine magazine each month. But this guide, like any others purporting to show book values are just that--books. The books are guides and nothing more. The value of the car is what it is to you. Back in 2011-2012 I searched for at least six months for a '95 I wanted and paid about $28k including shipping from California to Chicago. Even though it was in overall excellent shape, it had some needs so I had Marc Haibeck go through it and bring it up to good operating condition; by the time I had it up to my requirements I probably had over $30k in it. But it was a good solid car with only 22,000 miles on it and one that I wanted. So I may have over paid but it was the right car and price for me at the time. Of course if you actually catch the ZR-1 virus (much worse that Covid-19) you will discover how easy it is to put in say, another $20k, to get it up to over 500 HP. So when you sell it, someone else will get the advantage of all that investment (so it is always good to look for an already properly modified car done by one of the reputable guys known to the Registry members). Now I got a pretty high price for my '95 in 2016, $37k, but I was out of pocket a fair amount and the new owner got the benefit. But boy was it fun for a few years.....Bob
Interesting read in that price guide. I?d never figure, for instance, that the highest value year for the ZR-1 would be 1990. Must be a screwed up average based on the number of silly low mileage ones out there. Otherwise, I?d think a driver quality 1990 would be about the cheapest.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020   #16
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb62 View Post
Interesting that the ZR-1 is listed as an "investment grade" of "C". And yet the Callaways all are rated "Ds" with lower pricing than even the ZR-1s. Listening to some Callaway owners on the net, they seem to be convinced their cars are all 6-figure in value.
Yeah the C4 ZR-1s have never gotten much love from SCM. I am not sure that they actually see that many at auctions, as I almost never see them mentioned in the magazine. I also don't like their use of a median value. If they are using the word median correctly, median is the value halfway between the highest and lowest values, which can be far away from a true average value. If they are actually generating an average value and not using the word median correctly that would be better but I have never been able to get an answer out of them. What has always dumbfounded me is the higher values for the '93 anniversary model. It it by far the most common '93 ZR-1 model/color with I believe about 245 made out of 448. My Quasar '93 was one of seven but apparently color rarity doesn't count for much. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 06-24-2020 at 11:13 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020   #17
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Interesting read in that price guide. I?d never figure, for instance, that the highest value year for the ZR-1 would be 1990. Must be a screwed up average based on the number of silly low mileage ones out there. Otherwise, I?d think a driver quality 1990 would be about the cheapest.
That would seem to be the logical conclusion, that with the 1990 and 1991 models accounting for 73% of total production they would provide the lowest prices based on simple supply and demand. Condition, color and mileage also matter but generally I agree with you. See my comment above about using the term "median" value. Also I assume that SCM values are derived from the number they actually see at the auctions they cover and I doubt they cover things like BAT and private sales. Probably not many C4 ZR-1s go through Bonham's at Pebble Beach or similar venues. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote