ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-24-2020   #11
rush91

Default Re: 90 with only 53 miles

They only have 90 miles once....

I was watching a recorded Barrett Jackson episode and a 1992 Supra Turbo with 100 original miles, hammered for $85,000. Now THAT is insane to me, but if someone is willing to throw that kind of cheddar around, more power to them.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020   #12
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
They only have 90 miles once....

I was watching a recorded Barrett Jackson episode and a 1992 Supra Turbo with 100 original miles, hammered for $85,000. Now THAT is insane to me, but if someone is willing to throw that kind of cheddar around, more power to them.
Then spend another $25,000 to $30,000 to clean up all the dry rot.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020   #13
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
Two sales don't trump the average.

NADA Average Retail 26.7k
NADA High Retail 39.6k

Hagerty Excellent 28.5k
Hagerty Concours 41k
*both dropping from Sept. 19 to Jan. 20

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rvette-zr-1-5/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rvette-zr-1-3/

All C4's on BAT (which averages prices higher than other auctions and private party sales)

https://bringatrailer.com/chevrolet/c4-corvette/

There will certainly be an uptick, but it isn't going to be an explosion. Imagine trying to get parts and service for one of these in Europe...

Funny Thing about averages.
So, where do they show the cars that are "not average", you know, like the 1700 mile one.

I never report my sales to anybody, and it is quite certainly the same for most specialty classic dealers, so NADA is clueless, and therefore of little value when you are looking at "new" or non-average ones.

Prices for these cars remain all over the map.
But if there are folks selling properly maintained new ones, they certainly will not be selling them for $39,000.00.

Like I said, "average" is a funny word.
Then again, I don't often sell any "average" cars here, so perhaps that explains why "my-average" does indeed trump THE average and explains my "bias".

Still very pleased to see that 90 do so well on BJ, but it was a very nice low mile car, and good to see 90's getting the respect and the money that they deserve.
A very good sign indeed.

Outliers don't remain that way forever.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020   #14
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Funny Thing about averages.
So, where do they show the cars that are "not average", you know, like the 1700 mile one.

I never report my sales to anybody, and it is quite certainly the same for most specialty classic dealers, so NADA is clueless, and therefore of little value when you are looking at "new" or non-average ones.

Prices for these cars remain all over the map.
But if there are folks selling properly maintained new ones, they certainly will not be selling them for $39,000.00.

Like I said, "average" is a funny word.
Then again, I don't often sell any "average" cars here, so perhaps that explains why "my-average" does indeed trump THE average and explains my "bias".

Still very pleased to see that 90 do so well on BJ, but it was a very nice low mile car, and good to see 90's getting the respect and the money that they deserve.
A very good sign indeed.

Outliers don't remain that way forever.

Marty
I'm not sure why you're intentionally confusing the "average car" (condition) with the "average price."

The average price is the price of all the recorded sales/records, added together, then divided by the number of sales...So the high bars are in there too. As are the total basket cases that sell for 8-10k.

Sure, there are some private party sales that don't get recorded through sales....they instead get recorded when someone goes out and gets a stated value insurance policy...etc. Sales themselves aren't the only place to get this data.

From Hagerty's website:

"Most importantly, Hagerty knows that peer-to-peer sales – those exchanges that are conducted outside of the public eye and away from scrutiny – have historically been elusive. As these sales rarely make headlines but constitute the overwhelming majority of the collector car marketplace (71.5%, to be exact), we have developed a process to aggregate transactional data from our vast network of willing insured clients. We actively solicit and record details regarding tens of thousands of these transactions annually.

In addition to these transactional inputs, we actively monitor asking prices. Hagerty also has access to the insured values of hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Our data aggregation is a continuous process, and the careful study and research allows us to publish three times per year (January, May, and September)."

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/about-our-prices

Here's low mileage:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Chevro...oAAOSwhvReJQ2d

Last edited by spork2367; 01-24-2020 at 03:36 PM.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020   #15
DRM500RUBYZR-1

No confusion at all.
Average cars by definition command the average price.
Thanks for your effort though.
And no, this month the low mile high would be a 55k sale, not the 49k no sale or the 39 number in NADA.
My sales would not be private party, that suggests individual to individual.
Perhaps I should report them though.
The average would take a healthy jump!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote