ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-27-2019   #11
mmkkpro

Default Re: Light blue and orange wires

Hi, Hib, it's a 1990, the wires are left of steering column and run back into left kick panel area, I found it when I was installing a new clutch pedal and bracket. Have not tried to track down where they go yet. I bought the car about a month ago and this weekend it the most I've been able to work on it. Put a new ignition switch in it yesterday and got it turning over, still have a short in instrument panel, cleaned all grounds, got headlights flipping over in the last hour, still no lcd, warning lights, no back lights, no tones at all and no horns. And although all exterior lights work I have no indicators for turn signals or high beams. The FSM tells me to check certain connectors on ccm and tone generator but they are a beast to get to. To me it seems like I have a main power wire open but I have checked all fuseable links unless I missed one. I got plenty of other things to work on, I am making progress but you know how wiring is, time consuming. Thank you.
mmkkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019   #12
WVZR-1

OP - check in the FSM 8A-11-5 and 8A-110-0 for possible explanations for capacitor. The crimp is a GM 'splice'. I'd think the value could be found also on the cap. If you just did clutch pedal & bracket etc I'd think 8A-110-0 will explain more likely than the 8A-11-5

Also if you just did a pedal, bracket etc I'd guess that the rod and clip to the clutch pedal safety switch is likely not attached.

See 13, 15 & 19 in this image. You could jumper this and see if you get 'CRANK'

C4 clutch pedal.jpg

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-27-2019 at 06:12 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019   #13
mmkkpro

WVZR-1, 8A110-0 looks to be the one! Orange and lt. Blue, that's cool. I'm going back to the introduction of this electrical service manual and study it more, I skimmed over it when I first got them but I can see now I have to understand it better if I'm going to be able to track down these problems. I'm going to start with the horns as it's sorta simple compared to some of the other schematics. I really appreciate your help, thank you very much👍👍
Old 05-27-2019   #14
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkpro View Post
WVZR-1, 8A110-0 looks to be the one! Orange and lt. Blue, that's cool. I'm going back to the introduction of this electrical service manual and study it more, I skimmed over it when I first got them but I can see now I have to understand it better if I'm going to be able to track down these problems. I'm going to start with the horns as it's sorta simple compared to some of the other schematics. I really appreciate your help, thank you very much👍👍

Spend some time in 8A-201- section - that's a components locator that will help you tremendously. Also after each wiring diagram the next page is the component locator and an explanation if there's a 8A-201 image available.

I can't stress how important it is to get a grip on 8A-201.

Horn ain't necessarily 'easy'!!

Is the clutch switch present, connected and operational?
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019   #15
mmkkpro

Yes, there is the switch located on the top inside the bracket and another that pushes through the hole in the lower bracket and rests against the small metal tab.
I figured I would start with the horns and work my way to instrument panel warning lights, back lights, indicator lights and lcd display. Then try to figure out why I have no tones at all, I have courtesy lights, all exterior lights, hatch works, windows work, seats work, side mirrors work, I hope the ccm is OK, I guess it controls a lot of what is not working.