Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018   #32
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Replacement Tire Thoughts and Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Nothing works well in the wet or cold!
"NOTHING works well" might be a bit overstated, at least where wet is the criteria.

I'm referring to the skid pad test I saw where the "D3s" pulled (IIRC) about .95G dry, and .90G on the wet. And, in my own experience with them, they were very well behaved when lateral forces exceeded the adhesion limit. The transitioned into skidding w/o any sudden or drastic loss of grip.

This was in sharp relief to at least one of the tires tested that actually went ~ .98G dry, but ranked waaaay down on the wet (to something like .5G).

I had the first hand experience with some tires on a rental car that gave it up on a wet curve WAY before those "D3s" did on an equally wet surface. Just sayin.

I'm thinking if I never did another drag race, I might be more skewed toward the GY "D3s". But, as pointed out, GM is/was putting P2s on the Corvette says "something" about those tires. (I'd like to get the chance to drive on some one day and see how they compare to the Nittos on dry and especially on the wet. Something tells me I'll prolly like them better ESPECIALLY ON THE WET [NO CONTEST there]).

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018   #33
lfalzarano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgonyaw View Post
Michelin has great remarks and are on all new Corvettes for a reason.

Some of the Battlefield Corvette Club members (Fredericksburg Va.) are going to be at Dominion Raceway this Sat. to introduce the track to people who have not been there. I plan to go and gather info and insights.

http://roadcourse.dominionraceway.com/

Neat tip about tire psi while sitting.

Thanks to all for taking the time to answer!

Don’t get too confident, if the temps dip below 50 degrees or more, Summer tires are terrible. What you can do speed wise in Summer are not there in cold weather. I wiped out twice at VIR in cold weather on GS-C’s. Changed to Michelin, but expect the same “in the weeds” experience if I go there later this month.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 11-09-2018   #34
dredgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Charlie
You get to go to places the rest of us just
get to dream about!
😁
Many places are not dreams but nightmares. After doing this for 39 years, have seen the good, the bad and the ugly.=D>

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018   #35
Great White

I replaced the hard, dry rotted/flat spotted sumitomos on my car with the nittos when I bought it. I couldn't justify the Goodyears for the insanely high price compared to the nitto's (I'm going to burn through these tires pretty quick with the way I drive the beast.) Wet weather performance on the Nitto G2's is exceptional. I drove the car 4 hours in a moderate to heavy downpour and they performed flawlessly. Very predictable at their limits in the wet. No flat spots to speak of (yet, we'll see after the car sits all winter.) Dry performance is good but the sidewalls seem a bit soft so I run 40psi all around (drop the rears if you want more bite for standing starts obviously.) Dry track performance I'd rate 7 out of 10 for a street tire, but I'm not an experienced racer.
Great White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018   #36
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
"NOTHING works well" might be a bit overstated, at least where wet is the criteria.

I'm referring to the skid pad test I saw where the "D3s" pulled (IIRC) about .95G dry, and .90G on the wet. And, in my own experience with them, they were very well behaved when lateral forces exceeded the adhesion limit. The transitioned into skidding w/o any sudden or drastic loss of grip.

This was in sharp relief to at least one of the tires tested that actually went ~ .98G dry, but ranked waaaay down on the wet (to something like .5G).

I had the first hand experience with some tires on a rental car that gave it up on a wet curve WAY before those "D3s" did on an equally wet surface. Just sayin.

I'm thinking if I never did another drag race, I might be more skewed toward the GY "D3s". But, as pointed out, GM is/was putting P2s on the Corvette says "something" about those tires. (I'd like to get the chance to drive on some one day and see how they compare to the Nittos on dry and especially on the wet. Something tells me I'll prolly like them better ESPECIALLY ON THE WET [NO CONTEST there]).

Paul,
My thoughts on wet driving; during a heavy downpour my 335’s will hydroplane above 50mph making my cars fishtail.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018   #37
lfalzarano

No tire can standup to deep standing water on roadways above 50 mph. GY GSC’s provide excellent performance in wet and dry. I’ve been using the on my Z got over 18 years, BUT I recently switched to the PS2’s. My current experience in the dry they are superior to the GY’s. The ride is smoother and quieter than the GSC’s. I don’t drive in the rain anymore, but I would venture above 50 mph. ZR-1 tires are just too wide not to aqua plane above that speed. Real world experience! JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry