ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-06-2018   #1
jaykran

Default Bose

Quick question

Like most my stereo does not work. It never has since I have owned it but I am thinking of repairing it.

I get sound but very low , my question is could it be the cdm box or amps?

If the box was bad would I get sound?

If it's the box I will just leave it as it looks like a pita to get out.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
jaykran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018   #2
Ccmano

Default Re: Bose

9 times out of 10 it’s the amps. Had to do all 4 on th last car. Here are just a few links from Dynomites excellent “Solutions” threads in the Stickies section of the Tech area.
H

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-guidance.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1581564115

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?p=96235
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #3
dondon

I'm somewhere in the middle of the process you are about to start. I had no sound and have not had sound since the car was purchased. Here are my observations so far.

My stereo had previously been worked on. It had the sticker from a company previously out of Orlando on the back... I estimate that this was fixed in about 1991 after speaking to the prior owner. I called them in the hope of getting more information, they are now located in Tampa, FL. Anyhow, nothing came of that. I ended up watching the radio pull videos on youtube and removing the head unit and CDM (I would class my mechanical skills as beginner), it wasn't hard, it was a long slog and required some dexterity as I hung upside down in the passenger footwell, in hindsight, I don't think that was necessary(hanging upside down)... however it was useful when you can't figure out where everything is. I had the radio and CDM repaired approx $500, and then returned it to the car. While this was in progress, I was lucky enough to have access to someone who is familiar with the capacitor switching procedure, so he helped by replacing all the capacitors on the amp of the drivers side front speaker.

After reinstalling everything, that speaker worked as expected. He had told me it was about 2 hours of work to swap all the capacitors, so I figured I'd try learn something... and have now replaced all the capacitors on the right front speaker. I plugged it in tonight... I have a weird situation going on now, and this isn't the first time that I've seen similar symptoms. Hopefully someone else knows what is going on. I suspect it is the anti-theft or something simple that I perhaps don't know about.

From memory when I have KOEO the radio will operate as normal. However this is the second time I've had this not happen.

Incident 1:
KOEO - AC screen showed "---" with the first "-" appearing to be shorter than the remaining 2. The AC blew full blast, can't remember if it was cold or not. The radio, felt like it was powering up as the screen sometimes lit up, but no buttons on the radio worked that I could figure except the eject button for the CD Player. I disconnected the battery, made sure it had a full charge and then reconnected.
Incident 1 cleared up and radio operated normally, ac operated normally

Incident 2 (today):
KOEO - AC Screen "---" same as before. Radio appeared unresponsive apart from the eject button. I'm following same procedure as before when it cleared, so I'll let you know if it self corrects itself again.

Question has anyone else seen similar problems to the first 2 incidents and what was the fix or problem? Any thoughts in how to remediate so I don't get this issue again?

TIA
dondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018   #4
32valvesftw

I had incident 1 recently and posted about it. The solution was the same as your disconnect the battery and reconnect, all normal since.
Incident 2 maybe similar but I don't really know.
Good luck
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018   #5
dondon

Thanks for info.

Second attempt at a "hard reset" has not fixed it. Glad to know I'm not alone in these random "events".

I looked back at your prior post, you indicated that you also put in a new battery, wonder if any of that is related. My battery is a few years old, however it has hardly been used and lived on a trickle charger... so who knows.
dondon is offline   Reply With Quote