ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-24-2018   #1
Scarabexc

Default 1994 two coils not firing, need help please

Hello, first post and first ZR-1. Got this barn find that was sitting since 2002, with 73k miles. Coils 1-6 and 4-7 will not fire. I swapped the coils around and they are good. All connectors are clean with no corrosion. The pins on the DIS module are straight and clean. Any suggestions? Thanks
Scarabexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #2
QB93Z

Default Re: 1994 two coils not firing, need help please

When you swapped the coils, did you have a spark at 1-6 and 4-7?

Has the engine been run at all since 2002? If not, I suggest doing a complete inspection for mouse damage to a wiring harness.

Check the integrity of the long single row connector on the back end of the ignition module. It is at the rear of the plenum. Also check the three-pin power connector to the ignition module at the back of the plenum.

Check the plugs at the front of the ignition module and at the front of the coil base plate.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #3
Scarabexc

I have swapped the non working coil to the position of a firing coil and it worked, at this point I’m replacing all the coils with new and rebuilding the starter today while I’m there. I have cleaned the terminals although they appeared corrosion free and inspected the harness and can find any broken wires. I’m going to put it partially back together and try again this evening, thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
When you swapped the coils, did you have a spark at 1-6 and 4-7?

Has the engine been run at all since 2002? If not, I suggest doing a complete inspection for mouse damage to a wiring harness.

Check the integrity of the long single row connector on the back end of the ignition module. It is at the rear of the plenum. Also check the three-pin power connector to the ignition module at the back of the plenum.

Check the plugs at the front of the ignition module and at the front of the coil base plate.

Jim

Last edited by Scarabexc; 04-25-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Scarabexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018   #4
Ccmano

My guess is you’ve already done this. Closely examine the wires and connectors to the coil tray, the DIS unit and exposed wires a little further down the wiring harness. If there’s mouse damage you’ll find it there. Check the continuity of the coil tray itself. From the connectors to each of the coil locations. Since 2 work and 2 don’t it should evident if there is a coil tray problem. If nothing else the DIS unit is indicated. I would also call Mark Haibeck and run it past him. He is always willing to speak to folks and help.
H

90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote