ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-26-2018   #1
jaykran

Default Fuel injectors

I no this has been written a thousand times and I have been reading all the threads about this subject.

I have a 1990 with 18,000 Miles and it runs good. I have know idea if the previous owner changed the injectors.

If the injectors are original what are the common symptoms to watch out for?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
jaykran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018   #2
KILLSHOTS

Default Re: Fuel injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykran View Post
I no this has been written a thousand times and I have been reading all the threads about this subject.

I have a 1990 with 18,000 Miles and it runs good. I have know idea if the previous owner changed the injectors.

If the injectors are original what are the common symptoms to watch out for?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Original injectors that have been subjected to modern ethanol fuel will eventually begin to short out. This will cause a misfire, which will cause the dual mass flywheel to rattle. If you don't know what's going on, this will scare the hell out of you, because it sounds like spun bearings. Ask me how I know.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018   #3
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Original injectors that have been subjected to modern ethanol fuel will eventually begin to short out. This will cause a misfire, which will cause the dual mass flywheel to rattle. If you don't know what's going on, this will scare the hell out of you, because it sounds like spun bearings. Ask me how I know.
Flywheel and cam chains both make a racket and yes it will have you thinking spun bearing.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018   #4
Crusin

I purchased a 1990 ZR-1 many years ago with only 15,ooo k's, the car looked and ran great until switching valet to full power (375 HP) all it did was jerk jerk as if getting no gas. Took it back to the dealer and showed him. He explained it seems injectors are blocked due to Ethanol used in gas and injectors short out. (GM fixed the problem in 91 engines) We came to an agreement and he put in new injectors, never had a problem since, I always use 91 Octane gas with no ethanol. Injectors at that time were $65 each and there are 16 of them so can be costly to fix. Good Luck!
Crusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusin View Post
I purchased a 1990 ZR-1 many years ago with only 15,ooo k's, the car looked and ran great until switching valet to full power (375 HP) all it did was jerk jerk as if getting no gas. Took it back to the dealer and showed him. He explained it seems injectors are blocked due to Ethanol used in gas and injectors short out. (GM fixed the problem in 91 engines) We came to an agreement and he put in new injectors, never had a problem since, I always use 91 Octane gas with no ethanol. Injectors at that time were $65 each and there are 16 of them so can be costly to fix. Good Luck!
Actually...it was in 93 that alcohol tolerant injectors were installed.

7 years ago, Marc suggested Accel 150821 injectors (Summit Racing) to replace my NOS injectors. I installed them myself, and they're still running great!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018   #6
Crusin

Hello Paul! Thanks for your reply. Yes I was wrong it was 1993 before GM changed the injectors in the ZR-1. With all the engineering and money spent in designing the 1990 ZR-1 one would think they would have used different injectors then? and why it took them so long to change them? This was my first vette so knew very little about them, so with free time I drove to Illinois stayed over night and Marc changed them for me that night. He also put in Accel Injectors for the right flow. Car is still running great. I have been contemplating ordering a C7 but since I wanted a 8 Speed Auto and hear GM has had problems with automatic transmissions a little leery in doing so. Cheers!
Crusin is offline   Reply With Quote