ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-10-2018   #11
5ABI VT

Default Re: Alternator rebuild parts??

Did you end up resolving the issue? Just thought Id mention I do have my oem 94 alternator I pulled out for a billet unit 2 years back. was running fine no issues. I did buy a brush from gm and replaced it and put it back together. I was reading into the windings and stuff and just wanted a newer design so I bought the aftermarket one. Thread reminded me I had it
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018   #12
Young1

The rotor came apart. The copper that connects its windings to the base of the slip ring along with some Bakelite was in small pieces. Clinkity clink. I took it to a local rebuilder not knowing what else may have fried with the pieces bouncing around. Probably happened during some 6-7k rpm action. [emoji16] Thanks for the offer.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018   #13
Dynomite

Default Ultima 124 Amp Alternator

The Ultima 124 Amp Alternator - Remanufactured R111799A from O'Reillys fits the 1990 ZR-1 perfectly. This Alternator costs $100. The Ultima is a bit heavier with the body a bit larger in diameter with identical mounting points as the stock Alternator. The Ultima 124 Amp Alternator fits perfectly under the Plenum of the LT5.

See Item #2 Backup Tail Light Switch and Alternators

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-04-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018   #14
Young1

Great info. For all. Cost me $100 to have mine rebuilt. But it took two weeks.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018   #15
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young1 View Post
Great info. For all. Cost me $100 to have mine rebuilt. But it took two weeks.
But you're reasonably sure of the rebuild - the 'off the shelf' generally leaves much to be desired. I'd much rather have an OE done either by myself or a 'for hire' vs the majority of the 'off the shelf'.

Your rotor coming apart complicated/delayed yours - that's a somewhat uncommon failure for most CS144. There is such a thing as OVN (Overnight Shipping) that likely would have eliminated the delay.

I'm sure you also mentioned 'not rushed' to the fellow also. I'd say you did well!!! I understand the cam sensor R&D is doing well also.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018   #16
Dynomite

Default Ultima 124 Amp Alternator

I have taken the 1990 #72 ZR-1 with Phil's Improved Fuel Pressure Regulator and the Rebuilt Ultima 124 Amp Alternator on several Quarter Mile Runs and one 100 mile round trip with NO ISSUES. I have yet had to replace any Rebuilt Alternators from O'Reillys

3. Installing All Aluminum Alternator Pulley.

Both the bottom and top Alternator Mountings and the threaded hole at rear of Alternator that excepts the bolt from the small angled brace that attaches to the Injector Housing Bolt are ALL identical to the stock Alternator. The Hot wire can be seen just above the rear mounting bolt and is actually better positioned on this Ultima 124 amp alternator than the stock alternator.

See All Aluminum Alternator Pulley

4. Minor Modification of Air Horn.

The smaller single vacuum port (nipple) on the Air Horn pointing back under TB on 90' (90' only) is for vapor Canister Control and which vacuum line is connected to the Charcoal Vapor Canister control valve under the Drivers Side Headlight (on the 90'). This single Vapor Canister Control vacuum nipple almost touches the Ultima 124 Amp Alternator body and has to be bent just a bit as shown in the second photo. This assures the Alternator is not touching the rubber vacuum connector that fits on the vacuum nipple of the Air Horn.

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-20-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018   #17
Z51JEFF

I hope the OP had better luck than I did with my ALT. I took the damn thing apart and set the disassembled ALT on a self and didn’t get back to it for awhile not can’t remember the order of the spacers,doesn’t help that I’ve got other stray ALT parts thrown in the pile. I’ll have to by an extra ALT,get it apart just to get the order of the spacers right.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018   #18
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
I hope the OP had better luck than I did with my ALT. I took the damn thing apart and set the disassembled ALT on a self and didn’t get back to it for awhile not can’t remember the order of the spacers,doesn’t help that I’ve got other stray ALT parts thrown in the pile. I’ll have to by an extra ALT,get it apart just to get the order of the spacers right.

Look at post 6 in this thread
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....ght=alternator
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018   #19
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
I used this reference to put the thing back together and all is good until I put the pulley on the fan,this collar or spacer is not thick enough to seat the pully,the back side of the pulley is right on the fan,tighten the bolt and it will pull the center of the pulley down to the collar,stressing the pulley hub. This ALT was a reman that was on the car when I bought it,it died soon after so I rebuilt the original that came with the car. Who to say the reman was built with wrong parts to begin with,one reason what I never buy rebuilt alternators or starters. Carburetors too for that matter. Can somebody measure with a caliper the collar that goes between the pulley and the fan,the other 2 collars seem to be in the right spot on the armature.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote