ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-27-2018   #1
VikingTrad3r

Default Help me with history on this 1990 red/red Vin number

Hi All, im looking at buying a zr1 that is pretty rough shape, though the engine is said to run strong and there is a new clutch installed. There are some odd behaviors with the cooling fans, ac need to to be charged, and there are gauges in the dash the are not fuctioning properly. Coolant was low and oil was low and dark. current owner filled with water and changed oil out. He has another zr1 and an lt4 and is a high performance enthusiast. hes been honest about the known issues.

The car is priced right given the known conditions and i enjoy project restoration as my version of "yoga".

Note the cooling fan DOES activate when ac cycles (presumably cycling because its low on pressure/refridgerant) so that tells me the motor is fine. Likely coolant temp sensor related or electrical related.

Id like to drive it home to canada. but would have to sort out the fans first.

Regards All, VikingTrad3r

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 01-29-2018 at 09:37 PM.
VikingTrad3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018   #2
32valvesftw

Default Re: Help me with history on this 1990 red/red Vin number

I don't know anything about that particular car, but unless you getting the car for a VERY good price, like almost free, there are probably better choices. Low oil and low coolant to the point that the engine shut down is a bad sign.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #3
VikingTrad3r

yeah, im only guessing the high temp shut off happened. ive traced issues back in my other c4's enough to see the patterns of clues. the dash not working is a major clue.
Old 01-28-2018   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

First of all, there's NOTHING short of catastrophic destruction about the LT5 that can't be put aright. Nothing. And, you apparently know your way around schematics, etc., and apart from the motor, the ZR-1 is "90%" C4 stuff of which you are acquainted.

Far as the motor goes, the "over heating" is a big NO-NO with any all aluminum motor. (The gaskets get crushed beyond their elasticity and leaking then occurs, next time the motor cools.)

Low on oil, depending on how low and what kind of oil, and how far it was driven is a factor. The bearings are fed by the oil pump, but the "windage" is required to lube the cylinders.

However, you won't know how deep the water is until you get into it. So, if you're not prepared to take it on as a project and spend what a nice, sorted out ZR-1 w/o issues would cost, maybe you should pass on this one.

That said, (and if you're like me and enjoys restoration!) the more you get "into it" the more you'll find the LT5 is a ball and a beautiful creation to work on! GM Powertrain never embraced the Lotus/Merc as one of their own. Consequently the motor was never really fleshed out to realize its true potential. As result, there is so much HP enveloped in its design that was never truly exploited.

(Example: The LT1 is a thoroughly revamped/developed SBC, and the LT4 is clearly a refined, "hot-rodded" version of the LT1. The LT5 is like that 1955 265 cid SBC introduction. The fact that it made over 125 hp OVER the then best SBC offering from GM Powertrain with the same 5.7L displacement was just a clue to what potential the motor would have - had only GM put their resources behind it! But, no. "Not invented here" prevailed and the LT1 and later the LT4 were developed to capture at least some of the LT5's prominence. By simply porting and eliminating that restrictive (1990) exhaust and nothing else [save for tuning], and the LT5 make over 510 hp while using the stock cams and throttle body and retains its stock idle.)

Where are you located? I'm sure we can find a ZR-1 brother nearby that would help you assess this car. The ZR-1 Net Registry's purpose is to "Keep the Legend Alive". And, to that end, you'll find a tight knit group eager to help you with whatever you need to put you Z back on her feet!

Welcome to the madness! Hope you join us - we'd love to have you!

Paul.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #5
VikingTrad3r

Thank You Paul for the welcome.

I am up in Canada, in the west. the car is in cali presently.

Ill pay to have a leakdown and compression test done and go from there.

what i want to do is fly down and drive it up the west coast.
Old 01-28-2018   #6
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
I don't know anything about that particular car, but unless you getting the car for a VERY good price, like almost free, there are probably better choices. Low oil and low coolant to the point that the engine shut down is a bad sign.
I agree....To me that goes for any car except maybe a super rare Corvette...If your saying you can spend a " few more grand" and get one without any issues I would do that in a heartbeat....

Lots of decent deals out there on Zs, been that way for the past few years if you have not noticed......Same thing I see with the C5Z06 and the C6Z06...

Decent amount of inventory out there to choose.....

Sent from my LG-TP260 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #7
VikingTrad3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32valvesftw View Post
I just want to re-iterate that my GUESS is that it may have high temp shutoff. There is NO evidence for this. Its my guess.

The current owner has a low mile Z and he compared this '90 to his nicer one and he stated they are very similar and that the high mileage Z has a very smooth engine all things considered.

I have no reason to think he is hiding or witholding any info. He seemed very open and honest. He sure didnt need to tell me the history as he knew it but he did.

I am still considering it i just got called away to work.

cheers all and thanks for your feedback. i cant wait to get my hands on a Z.