ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-17-2018   #41
Corvettes White

Default Re: Need Guidance ASAP!!!!

A little advice with a grain of salt.

Second photo, is likely a manufacturing control number for Mercury Marine, the company that built the engine for GM. There is a number stamped next to be bell housing that will have then ending digits of the vin on it, 01278. Hard to see and find. This will tell you if the motor came originally with the engine. I tried to attached is a photo example but could not.

The transmission tag is indicating manufacturer in West Germany is correct for the car. Later replacement transmissions were built in the US.

George
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #42
Ccmano

None of the photos provided are relevant to determining “matching” numbers.
The vin is stamped on several places on the chassis. It’s stamped on the back passenger side corner of the block, but very difficult to see on a stock car with heat shields in place. Also stamped on the transmission case, back bottom left side. You really only need to make sure the chassis, engine and transmission match. The following link gives all the exact locations.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Inform...INNumbers.aspx

The window sticker is likely a collector replacement reprint provided by NCM. I can’t comment on the delivery dealer question.

I believe the top photo is the differential, won’t have the vin but does show a 02-07-90 build date.
The next photo is the engine serial number (not the vin)
Third photo the ZF id tag on the trans. Does not contain the vin but shows correct version for a 1990.

I’m sure others will chime in with additional info.
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018   #43
32valvesftw

The car appears to have some oil pan gasket seepage, mine did too and was corrected by retightening the bolts in the correct order.

Last edited by 32valvesftw; 01-18-2018 at 07:49 AM.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018   #44
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Post number 42 accurately describes the location of the VIN derivative, i.e. abbreviated VIN that is stamped on a boss on the rear right of the block beneath the head.
I can spot mine with a flashlight and an a telescoping inspection mirror.

The fact that the car was delivered to GM is a plus not a minus.
It likely was used for some internal purpose, possibly, marketing, display show, etc. With only 300 some miles it most likely was not used as a magazine or test car, nor a perk for an employee, as both would have far more miles than we see on this one.

For weeks now, even though you stated ASAP in your initial post, you have been awaiting results of a PPI. You now must have those results.
I find it typical that whoever did it, knew not where to convincingly validate a numbers match motor, but such is life. My first two NCRS flight judging outings had judges unsure of the location of the VIN derivative, so it is not a knock on the skill of the inspector. They kept looking at the spot where it is on a VIN P and at first thought I had a replacement motor.

At any rate, We work on low mile ZR-1's quite often. As I said earlier, I wish you could get the car to me, as we would likely have it straightened out quickly.

I cannot think of a reason other than flood, that would cause me your level of concern on a 300 mile car priced in the twenties. Given the mileage, price, and condition from photos on the dealer site, that car is an excellent opportunity!

Pull the trigger, and get it before someone else wakes up and beats you to it. I am very surprised that it is still available.

Feel free to email me a copy of your PPI and I would be happy to review it and share any further thoughts or suggestions.
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018   #45
Saoirse32

Thanks Marty. Appreciate it. It just went into the PPI only recently (trying to coordinate with the shop and my schedule) and of course, it wasn’t running properly (bad fuel pump) so I couldn’t even drive it. We’re getting there, thanks for everyone’s help and patience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote