ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-05-2005   #1
Gunny

Default New Headers - Which O2 sensor?

I'm installing new SW Headers on my 90 ZR-1 and rather than using the old O2 sensors, I'm opting to install new sensors. I've searched various sources and I'm still confused on a couple of issues.

When looking for the "exact" part do I need the same O2 sensor for headers that I would if the car was stock?

These are my choices:

GM -- don't know the best price, don't know the part number .... need this info if I buy GM ... also, is it true that Bosch makes the GM OEM part?

Bosch Univ Type P/N 15726 ... available from AutoZone or O'Reilly's @$47-48.
Bosch OE Type P/N 13077 ... available from AutoZone or O'Reilly''s @$47-48.

Denso Univ P/N 234-3090 ... available direct from Denso $60.80 plus ship
Denso OEM P/N 234-3094 ... available direct from Denso $45.08 plus ship

I posted part of this question on the list serve and I appreciate the good emails that I received from several net members, but I'm still on the fence as to the best way to go. I've received suggestions that I should use only GM oem replacements; others said Bosch is the only way to go; and Hib wrote a great review of the Denso on the CorvetteActionCenter site.

HELP!

and for those of you who have made the jump to headers .... do you recommend the Header Installation Kit from zr1products.com? It costs $100 and includes O2 sensor harness extensions, stainless steel fasteners, washers, studs, straps, & EGR tube plug.

Any other help and/or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

George Jones
1990 ZR-1 black/black
1994 LT1 coupe - dark metallic red
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #2
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuband
I've received suggestions that I should use only GM oem replacements; others said Bosch is the only way to go; and Hib wrote a great review of the Denso on the CorvetteActionCenter site.
I have not put headers on yet, but when I needed to replace my O2 sensors, I went with Bosch. I cannot remember the part number, but they have worked fine. I have also heard good things about Danso, but have never used them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuband
and for those of you who have made the jump to headers .... do you recommend the Header Installation Kit from zr1products.com? It costs $100 and includes O2 sensor harness extensions, stainless steel fasteners, washers, studs, straps, & EGR tube plug.
Funny enough I just got off of the phone with Randy and he says it is a must if you want to get every single bolt threaded with the headers. That is not to say you cannot get away with missing a few, but apparently the studs fit nicely where you cant get a bolt in. However, the mechanic that will be installing mine said he has gotten every bolt in except for one. The thing you will really benefit from is the O2 sensor harness extensions, otherwise you will have to rig your own since the stock ones will not reach.

There are a few links to header installs somewhere, and when I find them I'll post them here for you.

Good luck
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #3
Gunny

sounds like the header install kit might be a good idea. I need to call on that one.
Old 08-07-2005   #4
Z Factor

Here are those links I mentioned on the header install.

Click on the How To section and go to ZR-1 Header install

http://www.bcvettes.org/?http://www....o/zr-1/plenum/

http://www.pnwzr1.net/header_install_nick.htm

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #5
Gunny

Great Links .... and a BIG thanks.