ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-06-2017   #1
billschroeder5842

Default Oil cooler nut size (Ooo0 that sounds saucy)

I'm replacing my "factory style" oil cooler line with one from Jerry's Gaskets.

I spoke to Jerry today (great guy and completely committed to our cars) and he said I need to replace threaded port fitting that fits in the engine along with the new hose.

I have a 1 1/4 open end wrench that will fit on the hose nut nicely but do not have a wrench to fit the smaller port fitting that comes out of the block.

Does anyone know what size (1 inch??) the fitting is on the engine side?

Any tips to remove the engine fitting as that Mo-Fo looks likes it in there? Jerry suggests warming the engine before I get after it. I want to avoid excessive (I've done this swap once before) oil everywhere with a warm engine and oil flowing.

Thanks!

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Oil cooler nut size (Ooo0 that sounds saucy)

See Item #5 SS Braided Oil Cooler Hoses and Fittings

5. The TRICK to Remove the 12 AN Flare Fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
Jerry suggests warming the engine before I get after it. I want to avoid excessive (I've done this swap once before) oil everywhere with a warm engine and oil flowing.
Thanks!
You do NOT have to warm the engine as that would be an oil mess unless you wait for a few hours.

Quote:
Does anyone know what size (1 inch??) the fitting is on the engine side?
Thanks!
Use a 1-1/8" 12 Pt Box Wrench with another Box Wrench for leverage.

Quote:
Any tips to remove the engine fitting as that Mo-Fo looks likes it in there?
Thanks!
The issue using a Deep Socket is that the torque is applied too far out causing the socket to twist off the fitting. With the box wrench there is no twisting off the fitting with all torque applied directly to the fitting flats.

ZR1 Engine (LT5) Bolts and Hydraulics

Oil Filter Adapter Sensors ..............................................Oil Filter Adapter Ports and Sensors

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-07-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017   #3
A26B

Quote:
Does anyone know what size (1 inch??) the fitting is on the engine side?.........................
1-1/8"
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017   #4
billschroeder5842

Thanks- I'll pick one up on the way home.

FOR THOSE WHO BOUGHT A JERRY LINE; why would you replace the block fittings? Are the ones provided different size and wont work on the new lines? Are they different than factory lines?

I shoudl get them tomorrow.

BTW... I discover a small leak (two 50cent piece size) and some seepage from the water pump gasket... I don't know if I have a NEW problem or just some residue from when I washed the engine on Saturday.

FML

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388

Old 02-07-2017   #5
A26B

Quote:
FOR THOSE WHO BOUGHT A JERRY LINE; why would you replace the block fittings? Are the ones provided different size and wont work on the new lines? Are they different than factory lines?
Bill,

The factory fittings are -12 (3/4") AN. New Hoses are -10 (5/8")AN. 5/8" is more than adequate, look better & less costly to produce. Last revision by GM was even smaller, on the order of 1/2"~3/8" I think.

The Oil Cooler Thermostat Valve is normally closed unless the car is tracked on a road course. I don't recall the opening temperature but it is high.

If it wasn't significantly advantageous to the new design, we would have preferred to used the original fittings found in the Oil Filter Adapter (Block)

Jerry
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017   #6
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
If it wasn't significantly advantageous to the new design, we would have preferred to used the original fittings found in the Oil Filter Adapter (Block)
Thanks Jerry, that makes sense. Thank you for explaining!

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388

Old 02-07-2017   #7
Dynomite

Quote:
The Oil Cooler Thermostat Valve is normally closed unless the car is tracked on a road course. I don't recall the opening temperature but it is high.
Jerry
See Engine Lubrication System Functional Discussion

b. The Oil Cooler Bypass Valve on the Oil Filter Adapter allows oil to bypass the open oil cooler at hot temperatures since oil cooler is a bit restrictive. This valve raises the pressure a bit on the flow trying to bypass the oil cooler making sure some oil does go through the oil cooler.
c. The Oil Temperature Control Valve on oil filter housing opens oil flow from the oil cooler. The temperature opening characteristics of this valve are Thermostat-Open-203 degree F, Fully open-266 degree F.
d. The Oil Filter Bypass Valve on oil filter housing allows oil to bypass oil filter if the oil filter becomes to restrictive.
e. Oil pressure is always available to the Oil Cooler Bypass Valve. Oil flows from the oil pump (past the OPRV) to the oil filter through the Oil cooler and through the Oil Cooler Bypass Valve or directly through the Oil Temperature Control valve when the oil temperature is below 203 deg F. The oil cooler flow return and Oil Cooler Bypass Valve are open at the same time. The oil flow from the oil cooler is never totally blocked (half moon cutout of shuttle valve). The Oil pump flow at Idle is 1.6 gpm and the Oil pump flow at 7,000 rpm is 9.1 gpm.

4. Oil Filter Adapter Functional Details
Oil Temperature Control Valve Assembly.....................Oil Temperature Valve Thermostat opens at 203 deg F

Quote:
The factory fittings are -12 (3/4") AN. New Hoses are -10 (5/8")AN. 5/8" is more than adequate, look better & less costly to produce. Last revision by GM was even smaller, on the order of 1/2"~3/8" I think.
Jerry
I use all 10AN Aeroquip Reusable Fittings and 10AN Hose....The 10AN SS Braided hose I use has ID of 9/16 inch and the 12 AN SS Braided Hose has ID 5/8 inch. As it turns out.....the 12AN hose with 5/8 inch ID is identical to stock Oil Cooler Hose having ID of 5/8 inch. Also I noted the ID Fittings on the stock Oil Cooler Hoses on the Oil Cooler end where the tubing is located is less ID than the SS Braided 10AN Oil Lines.

The Stock Oil Cooler hoses have 6 inches of steel tubing on Oil Cooler end that are identical in ID (9/16 inch) to SS Braided 10AN. Further, the Stock Oil Cooler hoses are 17 inches long as compared to 13 inches long for SS Braided Oil Cooler Hoses. The Oil Filter Adapter end of the Stock Oil Cooler hoses is only about 1/2 inch ID at the fittings. Which if you add all that up I would say the total head loss in the stock Oil Cooler hoses is about identical to the SS Braided 10AN with Aeroquip 10AN Fittings.

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-07-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017   #8
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
The Oil pump flow at Idle is 1.6 gpm and the Oil pump flow at 7,000 rpm is 9.1 gpm.[/B]
Thanks- this explains while the hose was seeping at idle and spraying around when I hit 4500.

Tonight my wife crawls into "real housewives of ..." so I get a garage pass to begin disassembly of the hose and block fittings.

I'll also take a closer look at the coolant leak. I checked and I got one drop on the floor (maybe residue from cleaning) in 12 hours and light some seepage from around the water pump. Geesh!

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388