ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-14-2017   #1
edram454

Default Kissimmee ncrs 2017

Just got back from Mecum auctions and the NCRS Kissimmee show in Lakeland. I met and talked with Dave McClennan and his new wife. He was very kind and spoke a bit about zr1's. He was quite surprised that I recently sold mine and asked if I would sell my children too..(a joke) but told him I dont have any but I would for the right car. He said he was having his worked on by Mark Haibeck who is doing a 510 package on his 1995 z. You can tell he is very fond of the zr-1 and is easy to talk too especially when the zr-1 is the topic. I saw 3 zr-1's at the mecum auction a 1991, 1995 and I believe a 1992. all sold but not for any great prices. I saw a Boyd Coddington full custom c1500 pickup with a fully polished lt5 in the engine bay. It was called zr1 truck. even with the famous builder building it and that lt5 it was a no sale at 18k. Market is down everywhere and affects most cars except for porsches, ferraris and slow 70's trans ams and camaros. At the NCRS show there was a guy who had a 7 horsepower 1957 Corvette fancy go cart. it had a nice painted body and a red vinyl interior with little white wall tires. To show you how whacked things are he was getting offers in the 15k range,, that could buy a nice full size zr1. pathetic.

ed ramos.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017   #2
Vette73

Default Re: Kissimmee ncrs 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Just got back from Mecum auctions and the NCRS Kissimmee show in Lakeland. I met and talked with Dave McClennan and his new wife. He was very kind and spoke a bit about zr1's. He was quite surprised that I recently sold mine and asked if I would sell my children too..(a joke) but told him I dont have any but I would for the right car. He said he was having his worked on by Mark Haibeck who is doing a 510 package on his 1995 z. You can tell he is very fond of the zr-1 and is easy to talk too especially when the zr-1 is the topic. I saw 3 zr-1's at the mecum auction a 1991, 1995 and I believe a 1992. all sold but not for any great prices. I saw a Boyd Coddington full custom c1500 pickup with a fully polished lt5 in the engine bay. It was called zr1 truck. even with the famous builder building it and that lt5 it was a no sale at 18k. Market is down everywhere and affects most cars except for porsches, ferraris and slow 70's trans ams and camaros. At the NCRS show there was a guy who had a 7 horsepower 1957 Corvette fancy go cart. it had a nice painted body and a red vinyl interior with little white wall tires. To show you how whacked things are he was getting offers in the 15k range,, that could buy a nice full size zr1. pathetic.

ed ramos.
I tune in every so often when the auctions are on....I agree that prices are down on most autos across the board....Even GTOs and Hemi cars are not pulling down what they used too....On the other hand the Miami vice type testerrosa are bringing in nice money....

I guess it's what people want at the time, maybe not so much the performance of the car..If you take our ZR-1s they basically were the performance car for an entire decade -the 90s until the Z06s came along.....Which by the way happens to most models of cars....Its just progress and a company stays popular by advancing in technology, hence,a better and more popular product.....

The Zs may get there bump in the classic car world but it may take awhile...Until than just enjoy em....
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017   #3
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
..... To show you how whacked things are he was getting offers in the 15k range,, that could buy a nice full size zr1. pathetic.

ed ramos.
Wasn't Briggs & Stratton considered for the LT5 contract before they settled on Mercury Marine? Think I'd better check my "Heart of the Beast"....
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017   #4
ghlkal

Thanks for passing on this interesting story about Dave.

1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017   #5
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Did I really see 3 Buick Grand Nationals sell for $10,000, $11,000, and $12,000?

There must be some forum somewhere where the GN owners are crying and gnashing their teeth talking about their cars getting no respect, and selling for peanuts.

We should let them know that some ZR-1 owners have already laid claim to the Rodney Dangerfield Automotive award.

Overall, prices appeared very dismal for most sellers at Mecum.

It is not just their auction, but universal.

It is a GREAT time to buy!!!!!!!!!!!

Years ago someone suggested to me that there is a direct link between the stock market and the collector car market.

The link however is an inverse relationship. When the stock market goes up, the collector car market softens. When the stock market retreats, the collector car market moves upward.

The theory being that those with discretionary income are more likely to seek gains in a rising stock market by putting funds there instead of using them for other purposes, one of which is toy buying, whether the toys are planes, cars, boats, etc.

Not that they view toys as "Financial investments", but rather they see the opportunity cost of leaving the funds in a down stock market is low enough to warrant using those funds instead to buy another toy, that might have similar lackluster returns. They don't see that they are losing much, so why not buy the toy and enjoy it.

Over many years, I have observed the truth of that theory.

Our ZR-1's are not the ONLY car hurting.
It is far more generalized.

I have 3 Z06's, the first a 22k mile 06 priced at $34,000, the second an 07 with only 3,000 miles priced at $41,000, and a third, an 09 with 16k miles priced at a ridiculous $35,000, and each having little activity since the stock market began it's upward march. So its not just The ZR-1.

The collector car market is cyclical like all others; The tide will turn!

Very good time to buy!!!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017   #6
G8nightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Did I really see 3 Buick Grand Nationals sell for $10,000, $11,000, and $12,000?

There must be some forum somewhere where the GN owners are crying and gnashing their teeth talking about their cars getting no respect, and selling for peanuts.

We should let them know that some ZR-1 owners have already laid claim to the Rodney Dangerfield Automotive award.

Overall, prices appeared very dismal for most sellers at Mecum.

It is not just their auction, but universal.

It is a GREAT time to buy!!!!!!!!!!!

Years ago someone suggested to me that there is a direct link between the stock market and the collector car market.

The link however is an inverse relationship. When the stock market goes up, the collector car market softens. When the stock market retreats, the collector car market moves upward.

The theory being that those with discretionary income are more likely to seek gains in a rising stock market by putting funds there instead of using them for other purposes, one of which is toy buying, whether the toys are planes, cars, boats, etc.

Not that they view toys as "Financial investments", but rather they see the opportunity cost of leaving the funds in a down stock market is low enough to warrant using those funds instead to buy another toy, that might have similar lackluster returns. They don't see that they are losing much, so why not buy the toy and enjoy it.

Over many years, I have observed the truth of that theory.

Our ZR-1's are not the ONLY car hurting.
It is far more generalized.

I have 3 Z06's, the first a 22k mile 06 priced at $34,000, the second an 07 with only 3,000 miles priced at $41,000, and a third, an 09 with 16k miles priced at a ridiculous $35,000, and each having little activity since the stock market began it's upward march. So its not just The ZR-1.

The collector car market is cyclical like all others; The tide will turn!

Very good time to buy!!!

Marty

Those GN's condition was very low. Pictures always make any car look mint see them in person different story.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017   #7
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post
Those GN's condition was very low. Pictures always make any car look mint see them in person different story.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

Also they not the magic "X" cars; as in GNX!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote