ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-21-2016   #31
secondchance

Default Re: Latest mods.... the 90 is coming together nicely

I tried LED for lights and concluded that they were not bright enough and optic didn't work with OEM reflectors - light was dispersed.
I installed HID 6000k for fog lights and achieved level of brightness and color to match LED headlights.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016   #32
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I tried LED for lights and concluded that they were not bright enough and optic didn't work with OEM reflectors - light was dispersed.
I installed HID 6000k for fog lights and achieved level of brightness and color to match LED headlights.
This is why I retained my headlight projector HIDs. Even with factory halogens the bulbs were not that bright
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016   #33
secondchance

I concluded high quality LED by name brand manufacturer designed with proper reflector design, such as GE or Trucklite, is as good as HID headlights. However, Chinese brand LED bulbs designed with no consideration to OEM reflectors look good when looking at the car but don't do much in lighting the road.
Old 11-21-2016   #34
ZR1North

Quote:
Which brand or HID 6000K did you go with - where did you source them?
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016   #35
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
Which brand or HID 6000K did you go with - where did you source them?
I went with hidkitlights.com.

https://www.hidkitlights.com/chevrol...FQ5LDQodGncKGA

I have a 94 and bulb is inserted from below for 91 - 95 and bulb orientation is vertical. Note that 90 bulb is inserted from the back and bulb orientation is front to rear. I know it works for 91 to 95. For 90, I don't know. Also, you have a choice of bulb color and ballast wattage choice between 35w and 50w.

Link to my HID fog light post.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....&highlight=Hid

Last edited by secondchance; 11-21-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2016   #36
ZR1North

Quote:
I went with hidkitlights.com.

https://www.hidkitlights.com/chevrol...FQ5LDQodGncKGA

I have a 94 and bulb is inserted from below for 91 - 95 and bulb orientation is vertical. Note that 90 bulb is inserted from the back and bulb orientation is front to rear. I know it works for 91 to 95. For 90, I don't know. Also, you have a choice of bulb color and ballast wattage choice between 35w and 50w.

Link to my HID fog light post.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....&highlight=Hid
Thanks SC. That set up looks a lot like the CorvetteMods setup I have installed on my '91. Like GC wrote earlier, operation is intermittent; both fogs tend to flash on when you hit the fog light switch, but then one or the other will drop out. It's as if there isn't enough power available to keep both ballasts operating. I may try an alternator upgrade this winter, but I may try the 881 LEDs option and HID option you went first - it's an R&D project for now.
Old 11-22-2016   #37
GOLDCYLON

Concur the kit I used was also from Germany and high quality. But both lights would just fight for dominance. It was annoying so I pulled em.

I wonder if this is more shades of the grounding issue folks have had with the LED headlights on the 90 and 91 as the grounds are different. It may answer the mail on why the fog lights are a problem as well. Also why there seem to be no issues with direct plug and play with C4 models 92-96

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 11-22-2016   #38
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Concur the kit I used was also from Germany and high quality. But both lights would just fight for dominance. It was annoying so I pulled em.

I wonder if this is more shades of the grounding issue folks have had with the LED headlights on the 90 and 91 as the grounds are different. It may answer the mail on why the fog lights are a problem as well. Also why there seem to be no issues with direct plug and play with C4 models 92-96
I had no idea some we're having issue with HID fog lights until yesterday evening reading earlier posts. I ran my fog lights this morning driving into DC just to check and I did not notice any issue. Mine is a 94. I'll have check the electrical diagram but if headlights and fog lights are on same circuit, could HID head lights or halogen headlights sharing the same circuit with HID fog lights adding up to excessive draw?

Are you guys running 35w or 50w ballasts? Also, was the ground for fog lights isolated from high beam ground?

Last edited by secondchance; 11-22-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2016   #39
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
I had no idea some we're having issue with HID fog lights until yesterday evening reading earlier posts. I ran my fog lights this morning driving into DC just to check and I did not notice any issue. Mine is a 94. I'll have check the electrical diagram but if headlights and fog lights are on same circuit, could HID head lights or halogen headlights sharing the same circuit with HID fog lights adding up to excessive draw?

Are you guys running 35w or 50w ballasts? Also, was the ground for fog lights isolated from high beam ground?
I was running the 35w ballasts on the fog lights before I yanked em. The headlights are 50w ballasts with the glass projector lenses that Corvettehid.com used to sell. GC

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 11-23-2016   #40
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
I was running the 35w ballasts on the fog lights before I yanked em. The headlights are 50w ballasts with the glass projector lenses that Corvettehid.com used to sell. GC
I have the 35W ballasts on the fogs too, but I have Nighthawk LED headlights. I don't have to have the headlights on to have the issue with the fogs (one illuminating, but not both); it happens with just the park lights on too. There may be something to the point made earlier about grounding not being as well done on the 90s and 91s. I am going to order the 881 LED CREE units over the weekend and give them a try. They obviously won't be as bright as the HIDs; if the difference it too much, I may put back the HIDs and look at installing a relay to see if a more direct path to the HID fogs would make a difference.