ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-08-2016   #31
Tripler

Default Re: Is the C4 ZR-1 the Fastest ?

Looks like Kim Baker got the ZR-1 going pretty dam fast in this article and he also tested the ZR-1 here in Canada at Mosport .

http://www.superchevy.com/features/vemp-0902-kim-baker/

Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #32
Enginerd101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
Yea but the VIPER has a dodge NEON interior, literally all plastic crap, it wasn;t til the new generation viper that interior quality was improved, it truly is a beautiful car now. Growing up the Viper GTS and ZR-1 were my favorite cars but when I bought my Acura TL I noticed how much of a POS the viper interior really was. It's still a bad *** car but for 80 grand you think you would get more than a V10 with a neon interior
Corvettes (until C7) and Vipers will never win any awards for their interiors, but that's not the point. What was the top speed of a late 90's TL? mid 140's? Fast, but not in the running for fastest of the 20th century. I'd put my money on a base LT1 C4 to outrun a TL.

I had a poster on the wall when I was a kid; it had a Ferrari 512tr, a Lamborghini Diablo, a ZR-1, and a Viper. Oddly, that poster didn't have any pictures of the interiors. I'm fortunate to have owned two of the cars on the poster and the interior wasn't what made me lust after them. No matter how nice an accord interior is, there's nothing about it that makes me want one.

Looking for another Z!

Corvettes & Mopars gone but not forgotten:
2016 Challenger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker
1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2001 Z06 - Quicksilver Metallic
1999 FRC - Pewter
1994 Coupe - Admiral blue
1991 ZR-1 - white, 4:10's, B&B, Haibeck chip
1989 Coupe
1969 Coupe - gold, original 427 4-speed
Enginerd101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #33
Johnny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd101 View Post
Corvettes (until C7) and Vipers will never win any awards for their interiors, but that's not the point. What was the top speed of a late 90's TL? mid 140's? Fast, but not in the running for fastest of the 20th century. I'd put my money on a base LT1 C4 to outrun a TL.

I had a poster on the wall when I was a kid; it had a Ferrari 512tr, a Lamborghini Diablo, a ZR-1, and a Viper. Oddly, that poster didn't have any pictures of the interiors. I'm fortunate to have owned two of the cars on the poster and the interior wasn't what made me lust after them. No matter how nice an accord interior is, there's nothing about it that makes me want one.
My TL is a 2006 and i topped it out at 155mph speed governed it had plenty of gear left over. But it is a sport sedan, nothing compared to my ZR1, my brothers C6 Z06 will spank me and FYI a TL is not an Accord, that is a TSX buddy. I'm not shitting on your poster or your favorite car as I loved Vipers too growing up. Vipers and corvettes have always lacked interior quality until now bc you pay for performance but the corvette has beat the Viper all these years in interior. But now both are world class sports cars that are getting stickered closer to Porches. I'm not trying to hurt your feeling just make a point. I have been all about American muscle my whole life, but now I see the quality in Japanese vehicles. So i daily drive a Acura which I'm selling for my Lexus LS430 I bought and have the Z for my weekend fun. I would love to drive a new Viper as that saddle interior is gorgeous. GM and Dodge both really stepped up and finally realized you have to give the consumers some quality in their automobiles. By the way is that the poster that say "Justification for Higher Education" ?? I loved that poster I believe it had a Viper GTS, Ferrari, Lambo Diablo and can't remember what else. I gotta say I owned a 94 LT1 in Admiral Blue, loved the color but past 60mph it fell flat on its face compared to the Z.

Last edited by Johnny5; 08-08-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #34
Tripler

High end European and Asian cars have outstanding interiors compared to North American cars no ifs ans or buts about it . But if you want muscle , you go with North American . For me the ZR-1 is the best looking Corvette of all time and the most comfortable to drive . The interior on the other hand tho looks great , has some cheap feeling to it . Our passenger side window switch keeps popping out . That measly little steering tilt lever makes me nervous every time I adjust the wheel . Feels like it might bend or fall off . When closing the drivers door the whole thing flexes towards you like it is going to come off in your hands . Minor details because when I sit in it . I am at home . It is so comfortable . And most importantly is that sound when you turn the key . Music . A symphony of engine part's moving in such unison and clarity that you think you died and have gone to heaven . No other engine in the world sounds like an LT5 . Well , not that I have heard anyway .

Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016   #35
gmonsen

The ZR1 was and is very fast. I think my 1994 Ferrari 512TR was faster. Vipers are fast, maybe as fast, but I'd never own one. A parts bin car with that horrible truck motor. The LT5 is a lot like the 512 motor. It just pulls so nice and sounds so good. Both have about the same 7500-ish redline. The ZR1 interior is a bit of a letdown, true, but it doesn't really take away from the great mechanicals and sounds. Its all about the motor and then the styling.

Gordon
gmonsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #36
Bob Eyres

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I think it's established that the Viper was faster, bone stock. That is unless someone bought a factory car with a 3.07 rear end. I don't know of one, but if there is at least one factory C4 ZR-1 with the same gear as the record setting Fort Stockton ZR-1 we could lay claim to the same speed (mid-190's).
Whatever, at least we can factually claim that the LT5 powered C4 ZR-1 is the fastest factory stock Chevrolet, (or GM), car of the twentieth century. That is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote