ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-18-2016   #21
G-Sting

Default Re: ZR-1 Gathering at the National Corvette Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Guy View Post
The Gathering was awesome! The NCM catered to us and really made us feel welcome. It's really amazing what they do for us, and really give us the run of the Museum for a few days.

On the track, the Motorsport Park staff were really pros, and put us into groups based upon our driving skill. Everyone had an absolute fantastic time. I put in 107 miles on the track, starting with 20 laps in the morning, and over 2 hours of seat time with TrackX in the afternoon. My Z ran great - never got hot, and I was impressed with how my old Pilot Sports held the track - I couldn't have asked for a better time. Tripler was like a little kid in the candy store being behind the wheel. He was even cool as can be as we traveled sideways for a few seconds - a little throttle and we were pointed straight and back with the group. The C4 is very forgiving in this respect.

The day prior to the track, Mitch from the MSP conduced "driving school" which really opened a lot of eyes - impressive as we all think we know how to drive. The day after, we all got together and discussed our experiences on the track as well as what handling and performance modifications make a difference on the track and on the street. We also had Wendell Strode provide us with the most interesting history of the NCM. What an amazing feat for the NCM to have come into fruition and continue to exist today. Graham Behan provided us with a tour of the prototype 475HP LT5 development project, something that Graham has shared with us since he began working it a few years ago. Marc Haibeck continues to amaze me with his vast knowledge of the ZF6, and took us through its evolution from early to late and respective performance capabilities. We even found how the later 94 - 96 C4s had the reverse lockout removed - Dr. Fred Gallasch provided this golden nugget during his presentation as our guest speaker during the banquet, under the spire.

I already can't wait until the next trip to the NCM and the Motorsports Park - it was a fantastic time!

Here's a quick video of the TrackX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQJ_SCX1mtI

Regards,
Mark
Great write-up and video, Mark. Thanks for posting it… especially for those of us who would have liked to make it, but weren't able. Looks like an awesome time!
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #22
mgbrv8

I wish I would have brought my tripod and high def video camera to take footage from that great viewing location the park added. Last year the view of the track was limited but now you can watch the whole course. Im sure all the Zs that drove the track would of like to see their cars from the outside lapping also. Ill be ready next year.

Dave H
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016   #23
ZR1North

Thanks for posting the video, Mark; it helped relive an outstanding day on the track. The '16 Gathering was an outstanding experience all around. Thanks to all who contributed to a great week!
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016   #24
32valvesftw

I had a family wedding to attend, believe me it was a tough choice. I got to block the week for next year
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016   #25
Riviera

O.K. believe me I know that life can get in the way, but you are really doing both you and your car a disservice by not attending this event. You will get the opportunity to do things with your Z and get advice on driving it and maintaining it that would cost mega bucks anywhere else. This event gets better with every passing year. Just block out May 2017 on your calendars.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote