ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-25-2016   #21
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: New Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
-=JEFF=- is this an 89 column? Any side shots of the column? Does VATS still work or is that disabled along with the Airbag? Looks like a hell of a lot of time consuming work but it sounds like you are really happy with it.

One reason I like the mule cars is the Atari style dash remains with the LT5 power, I wonder if they had the older column as well?

Well done I know you have been wanting to do this for a while
Yes Vats still works (I used my ignition cylinder from the old column). Work was not bad, I had to replace the breathers in the cam covers this year finally (I had the wrong stuff in there before). So the theory of while it is apart... I already had dropped the column to get the booster out..

I had an 89 column (actually 87 but still the same) on the bench built up, so I used it. I was going to have my son help get the new one in the car and aligned, but he did not need to help

I have been asked for side shots, but have not taken any.. preference as to view? from driver side with door open or Pass side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
That's because the PO used it to grab on like an ape to get in and out of the car. To enter and exit the C4 you never need to touch the steering wheel.

Sounds like you need to replace the pivot pin That Mark Haibeck sells. It oversized and corrects this problem

Yours should travel up and down centered. That would annoy me too.
I had the oversize pin on the left side of my old column and it still rocked..

While most of it is people using the column to get out of the car, I have heard some of it is due to the heavy wheel with airbag.
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #22
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Yes Vats still works (I used my ignition cylinder from the old column). Work was not bad, I had to replace the breathers in the cam covers this year finally (I had the wrong stuff in there before). So the theory of while it is apart... I already had dropped the column to get the booster out..

I had an 89 column (actually 87 but still the same) on the bench built up, so I used it. I was going to have my son help get the new one in the car and aligned, but he did not need to help

I have been asked for side shots, but have not taken any.. preference as to view? from driver side with door open or Pass side?
How about one on each side?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #23
5ABI VT

Very cool I like that wheel but Im biased ! Very neat with the tilt telescoping solution Maybe if you could source the parts and get it done it would probably sell really well for late model c4 owners. I'd probably take 2 for mine !

I had the movement in my column and used the larger/replacement pins and It didn't help. the 'knuckle' was a soft casting and the holes were too big. I replaced the knuckle and it helped.. BUT.. even with the momo wheel on saving the 20 lbs or so.. I could still move the wheel in that same diagonal fashion it just was much harder to do so. I think theres more to it than just pins and the knuckle but this was 15 years ago I can hardly remember when I took apart the column to do the momo wheel and fix the wobble.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote