ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-09-2015   #1
RussMcB

Default Purple Starter Wire - Pictures

Below are a few pictures of the Purple starter wire. It took me a little while to find it, so I thought I'd post a pic for future folks.

Last weekend I did a quickie temporary fix so I could bump the starter with full voltage when needed. Next weekend I'll finish the job with a proper relay.

The first picture shows the purple wire cut, and two white wires connected to the two new bare purple wires' ends.

The two white wires are about a foot long each and connected to each other via one female blade terminal. They are wrapped in red plastic covering and tucked away under the battery. When I have a no-start condition, I pull out another wire with two male terminals and use it to fire the starter (hold it against the battery's positive terminal for a second or two).

I've used it (needed it) about 4 times in the past week.

Obviously, make sure the gearbox is in neutral, e-brake is engaged and key on.

Not ideal or permanent, but at least I've been able to take my car places AND get home by myself. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PurpleWire 003_c.jpg (346.1 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg PurpleWire 009_c.jpg (164.6 KB, 78 views)
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #2
diamond zr1

Default Re: Purple Starter Wire - Pictures

please post up what relay you use and how you wire it in/good info//thanks
diamond zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #3
RussMcB

I'll probably swing by Napa tomorrow and get PN LIT 195. It's probably overkill at 70 amps but ...

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...195_0212864919

... then I'll follow Dynomite's great write-up:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1579114180 (scroll down a bit).

Later I *might* put a hidden push button inside the car to bypass everything (ignition key, VATS. clutch), but only if the relay doesn't solve all problems. It will spice into the purple wire that goes into the relay, providing 12v.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
Old 11-20-2015   #4
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Below are a few pictures of the Purple starter wire. It took me a little while to find it, so I thought I'd post a pic for future folks.

Last weekend I did a quickie temporary fix so I could bump the starter with full voltage when needed. Next weekend I'll finish the job with a proper relay.

The first picture shows the purple wire cut, and two white wires connected to the two new bare purple wires' ends.

The two white wires are about a foot long each and connected to each other via one female blade terminal. They are wrapped in red plastic covering and tucked away under the battery. When I have a no-start condition, I pull out another wire with two male terminals and use it to fire the starter (hold it against the battery's positive terminal for a second or two).

I've used it (needed it) about 4 times in the past week.

Obviously, make sure the gearbox is in neutral, e-brake is engaged and key on.

Not ideal or permanent, but at least I've been able to take my car places AND get home by myself. :-)
Thanks Russ....
Tonight I may try that with my tenant who is a "performance " mechanic...
I'm sure he knows the tricks but I will show him this post..
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015   #5
RussMcB

The pictures above were taken in March when I was in the middle of troubleshooting. Soon afterwards I did the "relay mod" (which is a good idea - It sends a good strong 12+ volts to the starter, without that electricity having to travel though other devices (ign sw, clutch switch, VATS, etc.).

I mention this because, while you're in the area troubleshooting, think ahead about doing the relay mod, too (at the same time or near future). It's possible you might be lucky and the relay mod alone will solve your issue.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2015   #6
Racinfan83

I did the relay mod earlier this year after a "no start". Went directly off Dynomites link and it works like a champ since...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015   #7
Dynomite

Everything in one post including the Battery Disconnect which works perfectly in preventing battery discharge even over winter with a perfect start after several months of non use.

Starter, Starter Relay, Wiring Harness, Battery, and Plugs Tricks

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-20-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote