ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-18-2015   #1
randy ransome

Default Adjusting DRM coil over shocks

Question, how do you keep the black threaded part from turning? When I turn the big nut with the spanner wrench the black threaded part turns also.
Am I missing something simple? I looked for a set screw in the big nut but didn't see one.

Help

randy ransome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015   #2
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Adjusting DRM coil over shocks

mine has a set screw for the adjuster ring..

BUT If you have force applied to the collar from the spring or car, the threaded sleeve will turn with the collar
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015   #3
randy ransome

Where is the set screw? Is it between two of the spanner wrench holes? I couldn't find a set screw anywhere. I had the car on jack stands but the spring still turned. I'm lost.
I called DRM and they said I needed to hold the center piece, they didn't say how, but there's not enough room to do that.

Last edited by randy ransome; 11-18-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2015   #4
WVZR-1

I have a set here and the sleeve is not done to accommodate a set screw. I don't know what product they're supplying now but if the sleeve once dropped over the snap-ring would require substantial effort to rotate the sleeve when attempting to use a spanner on the collar.

Is this a new install or an install with some miles? If a new install is this the first shock of four, second, third or last? Check a couple others. Who grooved the shocks and supplied the snap-rings? The style I have here is a little different than some and the collar "you're mentioning" is actually part of the spanner and the sleeve is an entirely separate component. I really believe this is your issue likely. Look again, the spanner/collar is maybe 20mm tall with a 8 - 10mm shoulder. I've had some coil-overs that used dual spanners to adjust/lock height. This set is different.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-18-2015 at 03:53 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015   #5
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy ransome View Post
Where is the set screw? Is it between two of the spanner wrench holes? I couldn't find a set screw anywhere. I had the car on jack stands but the spring still turned. I'm lost.
I called DRM and they said I needed to hold the center piece, they didn't say how, but there's not enough room to do that.

I should have specified, I don't have the DRM kit but it is similar. I found, with the threaded sleeve sitting on the snap ring on the shock that the whole assembly would turn. You need to get something to hold the sleeve from moving. I have used a strap wrench in the past.
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015   #6
randy ransome

The shocks were on the car when I bought it. I talked to the original owner and he said he got them from DRM several years ago. I got the drivers side to turn just now but still having trouble with the other side.

Thanks for the replies, still working on it.

Old 11-18-2015   #7
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy ransome View Post
The shocks were on the car when I bought it. I talked to the original owner and he said he got them from DRM several years ago. I got the drivers side to turn just now but still having trouble with the other side.

Thanks for the replies, still working on it.

That might likely contribute to what you're experiencing. Higher miles and an accumulation of debris on the sleeves. If the collar/spanner is higher on the sleeve a strap wrench could certainly be a "go to" on the sleeve that's protruding through the bottom.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015   #8
randy ransome

I finally got it. I put a hose clamp around the threaded part and was able to get a good grip. The nut finally broke free and I was able to adjust it.

Thanks a bunch folks.