ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-21-2015   #1
cmb

Default Leaking side window seals after windshield replacement

I recently had my windshield replaced by Safelite. The windshield installation itself looks fine, but the weatherstrip at the front edge of the side windows now leaks when it rains. I'd prefer to fix this myself and possibly learn something (instead of bringing it back to Safelite and risk wasting time.)

They replaced the front roof weatherstrip, which is the same piece as the seals along the A pillar. When the door glass closes against this new seal, it seems to be just barely touching it, rather than putting it under compression. As a result, water will creep through and pool on the seats and door sills.

It almost looks as though the channel that holds the weatherstrip should be moved out away from the pillar, closer to where the door glass is when the door is closed. I did notice that the new seal isn't glued to the inside of the channel; it's just held in place by the metal edges.

Has anyone had to solve a problem like this? I usually don't drive my car in the rain, but I certainly want to have the option.

--Colin
cmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015   #2
Bob Eyres

Default Re: Leaking side window seals after windshield replacement

Colin - I'd take it back to the pros and let them do it.

One other thing in that area that I think everyone should check is the rubber "window sweeps" that wipe moisture on the outside of the side windows, and seal the top of the door from rain intrusion.
I recently have been rehabbing my car after a long time sitting in the garage. I noticed that the original inside window sweeps were still soft and functional, but the outside ones were aged like hard plastic. Just flexing them with two fingers caused them to crack. This is on a car that never sits out in the sun.
This allows water to run down your window, inside your door, and will eventually trash your electrics in the door.

Anybody with a 20 year or older ZR-1 should check this out. And that's all of us.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015   #3
Fully Vetted

And those window sweeps are really easy to replace.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015   #4
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
And those window sweeps are really easy to replace.
I don't know about that. The door card has to come off, and I think there's some rivets you've got to drill out.
Here's a tutorial:

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...l-replacement/

Looks like a bit of a PITA. We're going to try it today, I'll let you know.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote