ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 07-22-2015   #1
RussMcB

Default Ratings for Garage Projects

We often refer to different jobs as taking 'X' hours, or nights, or maybe even beers. I might start rating them in Band Aid Count or Expected Blood Loss (in ounces or whatever). It seems every garage session is interrupted with the need to "stop the bleeding", at least enough to get back to the job.

I have a few ZR-1 projects going on and tonight I decided to take a break from the exhaust project to work on the radiator project. Thus far, not one radiator hose has "slipped off". Over the decades these (obviously original) hoses have become intimately integrated with the pipe material, requiring an assortment of screwdrivers, pliers and razor knives to convince them to separate.

And, I could go on about the frustrating stock hose clamps with no way to get pliers on them and move them at the same time. I also wont mention the hundreds of fins from the four(!) heat exchangers all vying for their opportunity to extract their share of blood.

I've had this car since January and lost less than a quart, so maybe that's not too bad. I think a ZR-1 is probably the only car I'd sacrifice this for at this point in my live (second have of a century).

OK. It seems to have stopped (ice helps). Heading back to the garage for more self mutilation...
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015   #2
JimZRyd

Default Re: Ratings for Garage Projects

Have fun while you're at it Russ! I'm on about week 10 of switching out my shocks for coil overs, new brakes, and a good ole cleaning up of all the aluminum. In between a crazy work schedule, 2 small kids, and temps avg in the 100-103 mark its taking more time than I expected and I'm not even done with the rear yet and haven't started in the front Last week it took me 2 days to get the dang oem brake hoses loose in order to replace with braided SS ones! Like you said, after 21 years they were frozen beyond belief! Still find quite a sense of satisfaction in doing it myself. Be safe and have fun!

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote