ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-27-2015   #11
thirstyzr1

Default Re: Oil in number 6 cyl.

I have not had the plugs out since owning the car.
thirstyzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #12
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstyzr1 View Post
I have not had the plugs out since owning the car.
So.....there could have been oil sitting in #6 in the Fall of 13 and you did not notice it?
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #13
thirstyzr1

I guess its possible that i did not notice any oil on the old plug wires. I did just have a look at the old wires...grant it they have been sitting in a canvas bag for 18months. They were not greasy at all.

I saw it on plug wire today.
Old 06-27-2015   #14
Dynomite

Quote:
I guess its possible that i did not notice any oil on the old plug wires. I did just have a look at the old wires...grant it they have been sitting in a canvas bag for 18months. They were not greasy at all.

I saw it on plug wire today.
That was my next question.....how much of the tip of the plug wire has oil?
You can actually have no oil on tip of plug wire (black insulator) but get oil on a socket.

I have just a tiny bit of oil on two plugs on a 1990 but not enough to remove the Cam Covers Engine In Car which can be interesting. And Definitely not enough to remove the engine

Because of the angle of the plug you might have a bit of oil on the bottom section of the plug wire or oil around the bottom hex of the plug only.

If that be the case it is much easier to just pull the plug wire and using paper towel clean out the oil without removing the plug once in a while. And when/if you ever decide to remove the Cam Covers install New "O" rings then as that is a normal replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06scentair View Post
Clean the plug off and stuff a rag down the bore to remove as much oil as possible. Put the plug back in and drive.
You can then go to SS Allen Head Cam Cover Bolts but again.....check with us before you try to remove those Torx Cam Cover Bolts Engine In Car.

A Side Note......Use just a tad of white grease on the black insulator where it pops into the cam cover near the top (there is a ring at that location on the insulator). Makes it much easier to remove next time.

Last edited by Dynomite; 06-27-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #15
thirstyzr1

I was not much on the very tip of the insulator...much more noticeable on the plug and socket.
I will end up taking it to Dasilva Motorsports to get a once over and a cooling system service. I will get them to check that plug after I have driven it.
The oil was dirty. It may have been sitting there for some time.
I cleaned out as much as i could and dropped a new plug in. I will check it after I run it before I take to Dasilva
Old 06-27-2015   #16
Mystic ZR-1

OK, I'm guessing the oil is on the outside of the plug and any oil on the electrode got there when you pulled the plug out? Probably just the o-ring like everyone thinks.
Not a show stopper, clean out the cavity, clean the old one or put in a new plug and keep an eye on it. Next time look in the hole with a flashlite and mirror if needed and clean it out before removing the plugs to keep the oil and whatever else may be in there from falling into the cylinder.
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015   #17
thirstyzr1

Its always something. Last year it was the clutch slave cylinder right before i left for Carlisle.
Thanks again!
Jeff
Old 06-27-2015   #18
Z06scentair

Quote:
Its always something. Last year it was the clutch slave cylinder right before i left for Carlisle.
Thanks again!
Jeff
Letting any car sit is the root cause of most issues. The o-rings that were removed from my 90 were a Buna material with a durometer specification of 75. The ones used for the replacements were Viton with a durometer reading of 60. The newer softer Viton should last forever regardless of how long the car sits.

Not that big of a deal to change them......remove a few items (brake booster, coolant pipes, etc). Be very careful with those torx bolts if you decide to tackle the job yourself. Impact Gun Required as well as two, three, four, of the correct size Torx tools.....lol

DYNOMITE has the how to..........I'm confident
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015   #19
thirstyzr1

I just dont have it in me to drive it in the snow....my Mustang on the other hand....