ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-23-2015   #1
mgbrv8

Default Additional filtration

All my life my Dad has told me that a partial flow high micron filtration system added to a car will almost double if not triple the life of a engine. I have never implemented the idea but Im curious, I saw recently that Amsoil sells a bypass oil filtration system. I wonder if this would be worth installing on our cars. The more time I can keep from a rebuild the better. Also I wonder if the filtration would be too small that we might filter some of the additives that help keep our cars from wearing prematurely like zinc etc??

http://www.proracingoil.com/Amsoil-B...il-Filter.html

What do you gentlemen think?

David Hetrick

Last edited by mgbrv8; 03-23-2015 at 11:12 AM.
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015   #2
RussMcB

Default Re: Additional filtration

(from a very non-expert, just my opinion) ...

The one red flag that popped up for me is, if you filter that small, you need to make sure there's no restriction at high RPM (especially when the filter has captured debri and is no longer flowing 100%).

In other words, you'll need to change/clean the filter more often, and/or make sure it has a big enough filter area.

There's probably a good rule of thumb somewhere that states a micron size that is worth filtering (and anything smaller isn't doing much damage).

A lot of high performance, high dollar engines have survived for a long time with "normal" (but good) oil filters and frequent oil changes, so that makes me think a small micron filter isn't really necessary. I mean, cars and trucks go for multiple 100,000 miles and are still in good shape without "special" filters.

Kind of related: When we were going through a "learning period" building motorcycle-powered formula cars, we were blowing up engines more than anyone liked. Many of us ran larger micron filters just to catch metal pieces before they went other places and did more damage. Just mentioning that here in case you're paranoid about blowing an engine and want to minimize damage.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]

Last edited by RussMcB; 03-23-2015 at 12:02 PM.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015   #3
mgbrv8

Excellent point. Also this isn't a replacement for the factory system its just a separate system that filters a small amount of the oil and returns it to the sump to help reduce particle size over all.

Dave
Old 03-23-2015   #4
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbrv8 View Post
Excellent point. Also this isn't a replacement for the factory system its just a separate system that filters a small amount of the oil and returns it to the sump to help reduce particle size over all.

Dave
Interesting. I was imagining something plumbed into the existing system, after the factory pump (doing the extra filtering right before the oil is sent to bearings).

Can you describe how it would be plumbed (lines, pump, filter)?

If it is getting oil from the sump, super-filtering it and dumping it back into the same sump, I don't think it would be adding much value. I think it would only be worthwhile if it super-filtered the oil going into the engine.

PS. Something else to consider: It takes HP (and perhaps adds a little more heat) to do extra filtering.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015   #5
mgbrv8

Im assuming like this

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif bypass_dia_300px.gif (12.9 KB, 6 views)