ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-07-2015   #1
Jim Nolan

Default Help

Does anyone know where I can buy an electronic gear correction. I believe the one on mine has gone bad. The problem is there is no manufacturers name on mine. Just made in Canada and a part #. I guess when mine were changed to the 3:91's there was not a gear available.

Jim
Jim Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #2
XfireZ51

Default Re: Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nolan View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy an electronic gear correction. I believe the one on mine has gone bad. The problem is there is no manufacturers name on mine. Just made in Canada and a part #. I guess when mine were changed to the 3:91's there was not a gear available.

Jim
Call Marc Haibeck.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #3
Demps

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/dak-sgi-5
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015   #4
WVZR-1

Quote:

Jim
What is the information that is actually on the box? How many wires and their colors? Is this a "stab in the dark" or have you actually done some diagnostics? A while ago you wanted to just replace the VSS in an assumption. Have you confirmed VSS function? Where was your ERA placed?

How are the "dip switches" accessed? I believe that if I were to have to replace with another I'd probably consider an Abbott ERA.

Made in Canada - I wouldn't be surprised if it might not be a SPECMO. I had a conversation with them 6 or so years ago and I had a difficult time finding someone that "remembered".

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-09-2015 at 08:00 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015   #5
Jim Nolan

The re-cal box had no manufacture name on it, only a part # and made in Canada. I called the original installer and he could not recall who made them. So I disconnected it and reconnected the original wires and took it for a drive. It operated again, incorrect, but it all worked. I took Ted's advice and ordered one from Summit, probably be here tomorrow.

Jim
Old 02-16-2015   #6
Jim Nolan

OK all you auto masters I need a input. I installed the Dakota Digital speed correction. The instructions are a bit confusing or they are taking something simple and making it difficult. Correct me if I am wrong but the difference between 3:91 and 3:45 is .46. That means 3:45 is 88% of the speed of the 3:91 gears. So all I have to do is correct at say 60 mph to 52.8mph and I will have the same speed as the original 3:45 gears. Does that make sense or am I over engineering it. I did used to drive my math teachers crazy.
Old 02-16-2015   #7
WVZR-1

Quote:
OK all you auto masters I need a input. I installed the Dakota Digital speed correction. The instructions are a bit confusing or they are taking something simple and making it difficult. Correct me if I am wrong but the difference between 3:91 and 3:45 is .46. That means 3:45 is 88% of the speed of the 3:91 gears. So all I have to do is correct at say 60 mph to 52.8mph and I will have the same speed as the original 3:45 gears. Does that make sense or am I over engineering it. I did used to drive my math teachers crazy.
You have a 13.33% speedometer error regardless of the speed. I don't know the procedures for setting the dip-switches in the DD ERA but I believe the 13.33% should satisfy all of the requirements. Some DD might have a "screw" adjustment procedure I believe. If it's a remote location you can't access easily while moving it could very well be a trial and error adjustment confirming with a GPS.

If it's a dip-switch setting you would use actual speed/displayed speed to arrive at a cal ratio. .8816 or .882. There are various DD instructions on the DD web-page based on the revision of the unit:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd393.htm

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-16-2015 at 04:17 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote