ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-06-2015   #1
Vette73

Default Is it labor intensive to install aftermarket headers on the LT-5?

For those that have headers,is it labor intensive?

Does the motor have to be lifted to get the stock manifolds out?
Any other parts have to be removed to get the headers on?
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015   #2
edram454

Default Re: Is it labor intensive to install aftermarket headers on the LT-5?

cant answer that since my car came with them already. being a zr1, probably is.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015   #3
tccrab

I haven't myself installed headers on a ZR1, but I am reasonably familiar with the underside of my 1990, having replaced my transmission and installing the flowmaster cat back exhaust.
Having said that, done at home with no lift, I'd figure on taking around 6 to 8 hours for each side.
The car will have to be a couple of feet off of the ground, and that's quite a trick to do at home.
There not a lot of room to get at the manifold bolts, and there's miles and miles of razor sharp edges on all of the heat shields which seem to be everywhere under there.
You will need lots of extensions, wobbly sockets, PB Blaster, WD-40 and a big box of band aids. Keep a tourniquet handy just in case you have to tie off an arm.....

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Getting the heat shields off, was the "bitch". Everything else was pretty straight forward. Took me about 8 hours working alone off of jack stands.

I did remove the inner fender panels for better access, but it never occurred to me to tilt the motor a bit. And, you'll find you can't get all the flange bolts installed, due to interference with some of the pipes. No biggie tho. The fanges are plenty thick and a new gasket and some RED (high temp) RTV on the contact surfaces has been solid for over 5 seasons now.

I recommend that you get (or) re-calibrate the PROM or have someone like Marc Haibeck or Corey Henderson or someone familiar with the LT5 calibration. You'll need more fuel to feed those 25-30 horses, or otherwise you may be running too lean w/o the tune adjustment!

Oh, and I made my own dipstick bracket, which I have since been offering others doing headers. You can too, or NOW would be a good time to let me know if you want me to whip one up for ya (I'm already doing some for a couple others installing headers now - I just wish I'd anticipated the need when the weather was decent.)

Good luck!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-07-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015   #5
Vette73

Hey thanks Paul.....Yes, I already spoke to Marc and he sent me a chip for the added air/fuel.....

Will be in touch as far as fabricating the dipstick ..

Thanks
JW
Old 01-12-2015   #6
Vette73

Hey Paul...
Sent you a PM as far as getting the dipstick from you..

Thnx...
Old 01-13-2015   #7
5ABI VT

I have a few threads on it with pictures on the install. It wasn't too difficult it just takes a bit of time depending on how slow you work.. how much you want to clean etc. The shields were a bit of a pita and it depends on how hard they bolts are to remove (mine weren't too bad at all) but its one of those jobs if you were to do it again you could probably do it in half the time. I found the job enlightening, I got to see and get under my z and start to get familiar with it.

oh and I just did my clutch and flywheel.. I had the stainless fasteners with the locks and every single bolt had loosened up a little since the install so double check them a little while afterwards.

Heres my thread. Lots of great pics from others as well showing the manifolds and shields etc and lots of tips from members in there

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20989

Last edited by 5ABI VT; 01-13-2015 at 12:06 PM.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote