ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-04-2014   #31
batchman

Default Re: Replacing the in tank fuel stuff w/current tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvie View Post
protecting those pesky wires that always are rubbing on the sharp metal gas filler pipe and shorting out stuff.
Wow, so you're saying the OE setup has those wires unprotected and unrestrained by the end of the filler neck? I haven't had ours apart (yet!) but that sounds like it should have made the papers by now.

Personally I have no problem with plastic fittings - they do a lot for their weight. I'm sure converting all the pressure lines in these cars to braided & s/s could add 50lbs.

Anyone can make a bridge stand up forever. It takes engineering to make one just barely stand up forever.

While I am definitely not a GM fan in general, I do have some sympathy for the engineering behind the first few ignition switch problems - I mean really, how many pounds should you plan for people to hang on their ignition key? Once this problem came to light though it should have been handled very differently - all management's fault in my humble opinion.

Cheers,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014   #32
Blue Flame Restorations

The lowest bidder does not always get the GM contract, by any means. There are several parameters that are considered from any vendor. Quality parameters are the biggest part of the bid process. I know this from experience working at GM. Not just opinion. Pretty bold statements have been stated that are not true at all.

While replacing the fuel pumps, I always install new hoses and stainless clamps. Generally, the plastic clamps are brittle and break, from my experience.

It's not rocket science at this point. It's also only about a 30 min job.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project

Last edited by Blue Flame Restorations; 11-05-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014   #33
twowire

After all this, I just kept the new pump stock and just added a steel clamp at the top.
I did see where the old wires in tank were missing insulation from rubbing on the sharp edge so I did use the wire ties like Harvy outlines. it would have been nice if the fuel pump hole was larger, but got it done (didn't rush anything and it took about 35 minutes). I had a harder time changing out the fuel filter (floor ramps) than changing the fuel pump. what a major major major pita without a shop lift

The car felt lethargic - slow and took a while to crank when warm, but thankfully didn't break down.
I changed the fuel pump and filter out recently (with new plugs / dielectric grease), and now that it has the proper fuel pressure, it runs very strong now and starts up quick when warm now too. It's like night and day, huge improvement!!
twowire is offline   Reply With Quote