ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-13-2014   #11
Roadster

Default Re: Possible Transmission Issue, Or Something Else?

I mean then again, it could be something loose that when you put the vehicle in motion, it is rubbing or vibrating against something else during that time and producing the noise you are hearing...
some questions???
1-is the vehicle drivable?
2-can you shift the trans with no problem?
3-are you experiencing any clutch slippage?
4-with the vehicle stopped and in gear with the clutch pedal depressed of course, is the noise present?
5-with the vehicle stopped and not in gear, any noise? if you depress the clutch not in gear, any noise?
6-with the vehicle stopped and either in gear or not in gear and reving the engine, any noise?
7-when in motion and in gear, noise is present, correct? if you depress the clutch pedal in gear when in motion, is noise still present?

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #12
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottrodcrazy View Post
Part of my asking was to see if this is a somewhat common ZR1 issue. Also, is the transmission the same that would be found in any other manual c4 corvette? That's something I honestly don't know, but if so then finding parts should definitely not be an issue.
As far as the trans goes, I don't remember if the other C4's from that time used the same ZF 6speed, and since I'm old and sometimes confused, and lazy at the moment, I can't give you a correct answer.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 09-13-2014   #13
Kevin

89-96 are zf cars. 93 they went to the blue tags
Old 09-13-2014   #14
hottrodcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
I mean then again, it could be something loose that when you put the vehicle in motion, it is rubbing or vibrating against something else during that time and producing the noise you are hearing...
some questions???
1-is the vehicle drivable?
2-can you shift the trans with no problem?
3-are you experiencing any clutch slippage?
4-with the vehicle stopped and in gear with the clutch pedal depressed of course, is the noise present?
5-with the vehicle stopped and not in gear, any noise? if you depress the clutch not in gear, any noise?
6-with the vehicle stopped and either in gear or not in gear and reving the engine, any noise?
7-when in motion and in gear, noise is present, correct? if you depress the clutch pedal in gear when in motion, is noise still present?

The more I think on it the more I'm leaning towards the possibility that when it was prepped for sale - it's a two owner car, I'm the second owner and the original owner passed away from my understanding and for all I know when his kids prepped it for sale they could have the grease changed and replaced with the wrong thing. It's just a guess and possibly wishful thinking.

But to answer your questions...
1. it is driveable
2. shifting is no problem
3. there is no clutch slippage
And, as long as the car is in gear the noise is present. Knock it out of gear and put it in neutral and the noise goes away.
hottrodcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #15
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottrodcrazy View Post
The more I think on it the more I'm leaning towards the possibility that when it was prepped for sale - it's a two owner car, I'm the second owner and the original owner passed away from my understanding and for all I know when his kids prepped it for sale they could have the grease changed and replaced with the wrong thing. It's just a guess and possibly wishful thinking.

But to answer your questions...
1. it is driveable
2. shifting is no problem
3. there is no clutch slippage
And, as long as the car is in gear the noise is present. Knock it out of gear and put it in neutral and the noise goes away.
Based on what you are saying, I don't think it has anything to do with the car being prepped, grease being replaced with wrong thing, I don't think so.
Either it is the throw-out or pilot bearing making the noise since when you put in it neutral, the noise goes away. Unless it is something really weird to when being in gear the torque of the motor is creating this sound and of course when your out of gear with the vehicle in neutral, the torque of the motor is non-exsistent, thus not creating any said noise.
IMO, it is one of those bearings making the noise. As suggested earlier by Kevin, get a sound bite so we can listen.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 09-13-2014 at 10:45 PM.