ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-16-2014   #51
USAZR1

Default Re: Transverse leaf spring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I made sure I mentioned the code that's cataloged and also the spring rates from the MVMA direct from GM. So long as your friends LT1 base car was also an FX3 then I'd avoid it I think. A base car '94 with NO FX3 (JA) is very close.
To the best of my knowledge,my friend's 94 did not come equipped with the FX3 option. He told me it was a base car,Dave.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #52
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
To the best of my knowledge,my friend's 94 did not come equipped with the FX3 option. He told me it was a base car,Dave.
Let's try this then, here's some possibilities. Does the spring just have a flat molded rubber cushion or a "pedestal" type bumper 1 1/4" square and 5/8" tall? If it's a flat molded rubber cushion then it's an earlier FHA from a '91 or earlier. If square "pedestal" type then FSS (coupe no FX3), FSA ('vert no FX3). I overlooked the JA being a 'vert w/FX3 or the HA I already mentioned. Sorry.

It might make sense that your friend bought a spring to modify and have ready to do the change rather than tear apart and then do the work. Maybe he purchased that one modified. The type of insulator on the end is key.

I have 2 FHA springs one of each type, one is removed from a '91 ZR-1 (I'm sure of that) and I have one with the pedestal type that I always thought came from a '93 LT1 car recovered theft with real low miles. I've got control arms and spindles as well for that car. There's no FHA code for '93 cataloged either, mine has NO color code and I don't believe it could have. I can see where there was a label at some time. I forgot that I had the springs to compare because you mentioned '94 so I didn't even consider checking mine.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #53
USAZR1

I don't have the spring in hand so I can look it over but I do know that spring was the oem unit for that base 94. He removed the spring,modified it, and re-installed it. About six months ago,he removed it again and installed the coilovers.

If I could use that particular spring,it would save quite a bit of time and I would still have my 94's unmodified spring to keep.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #54
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAZR1 View Post
I don't have the spring in hand so I can look it over but I do know that spring was the oem unit for that base 94. He removed the spring,modified it, and re-installed it. About six months ago,he removed it again and installed the coilovers.

If I could use that particular spring,it would save quite a bit of time and I would still have my 94's unmodified spring to keep.
Just do it! Measure the car first and then after install, make sure the car is on the ground when you tighten everything to spec, I'd take it down the road and find some "rumble strips" on the shoulders and median before I tightened to spec. I would think in a few hundred miles of various driving conditions you'll have a very good idea if it was a good call.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #55
RPO LT5

Wow, the Z51, Challenge and Z07 cars had some high spring rates and anti-roll bar diameters. And the roll bars were both solid. I'd have to wear a mouth guard and neck brace to drive on DC roads again. I've never seen moon sized crater potholes until DC.
1996 LT4 490hp (need to sell)
2001 Z06 570 hp, gutted
2007 Z06 Jong Bloed wheels, Mich PS Cups and Coleman 2-piece rotors
2003 996 GT2 world challenge--almost finished
RPO LT5 is offline   Reply With Quote