ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-11-2014   #11
Racinfan83

Default Re: Where is Check Engine Light?

OK guys - all good info - and I appreciate it. But first things first - there is no SES light coming on at all. I need to know where exactly in the display panel it is - how to get to it to replace the bulb, and what bulb it takes. Unless there is another reason it doesn't work????
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #12
-=Jeff=-

Start with checking the bulb first.

Have you removed the radio in the car yet? Getting to the info center of the same. Remove console bezel. Then center a/c vent then the radio bezel. The info center has 2 or 3 books holding it in.. Then you can get to the bulb.

I think the MIL is the second from the left on the bottom row
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #13
WVZR-1

Bottom row, SES (Service Engine Soon) is third from left with the first position being "empty", the second "battery, and next SES (amber). See FSM 8C-4. Replacement is in maybe the next 2 - 3 pages.

It's a PC bulb socket and for diagnostics I would think you could just borrow one from anywhere except the battery location. There is likely a "unused one" in the DIC so you could compare the bulb sockets present to the chart on 8C4 and use one that serves no function. It seems to me the second row fourth from left has no function but there's likely a bulb socket there.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-11-2014 at 08:31 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #14
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Bottom row, SES (Service Engine Soon) is third from left with the first position being "empty", the second "battery, and next SES (amber). See FSM 8C-4. Replacement is in maybe the next 2 - 3 pages.
Well I had the right row.. Lol only off by one
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 05-11-2014   #15
WVZR-1

If you didn't want to do the DIC removal you could do the diagnostics first for "no light". Those are in the FSM at 6E2-A-16 & 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Well I had the right row.. Lol only off by one

It is the second "functional"
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #16
-=Jeff=-

Yeah I guess going that way..

WV,

I am amazed on your ZR-1 knowledge
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
Old 05-11-2014   #17
Racinfan83

Ok Thanks! Now I know where to start. Haven't had radio out but doesn't sound too bad...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 05-17-2014   #18
Racinfan83

UPDATE: Well I found it. Got out my FSM and did the diagnostic for "no SES light" Pulled ECM and ran test light to B1. SES light was supposed to come on if bulb was good/nothing else wrong. It didn't. So I figured it was the bulb - and was just not in the mood to take things apart today. Unhooked the battery for a while to see if it would reset the A/C (not sure if it did or not - have to drive it later). Anyway - when I got back in the car and turned key on - there was the "SES" light.
SO - it was not working before, now it appears that it is. So either I pissed it off by trying to diagnose it, or the battery unhook did something to fix it?? No idea but at least it comes on now and goes off when car starts running....
Old 05-17-2014   #19
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
UPDATE: Well I found it. Got out my FSM and did the diagnostic for "no SES light" Pulled ECM and ran test light to B1. SES light was supposed to come on if bulb was good/nothing else wrong. It didn't. So I figured it was the bulb - and was just not in the mood to take things apart today. Unhooked the battery for a while to see if it would reset the A/C (not sure if it did or not - have to drive it later). Anyway - when I got back in the car and turned key on - there was the "SES" light.
SO - it was not working before, now it appears that it is. So either I pissed it off by trying to diagnose it, or the battery unhook did something to fix it?? No idea but at least it comes on now and goes off when car starts running....
Cool, but NOT so cool there RF (problems that SEEM to go away by themselves).

Might still be a good idea to pick an easy access point in the circuit, and start ... *GULP* ... following the circuit, one way or the other, from terminal to terminal. NEVER fun, but necessary, ESPECIALLY if other toys are on the same line, OR, if the ground is NOT dedicated, but is shared by other stuff.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #20
Racinfan83

Yeah I'm not good with electrical diagnosis at all. Couldn't read a meter if I tried. Test light is about the extent of my knowhow. I can fix a lot of stuff - but electric has never been my thing. According to the FSM the SES light is on a dedicated pin - which appeared to be correct. It is possible that when I stuck the tester in the connecter I scraped off some corrosion, or the connecter was just not in exactly right?
Now you may have something with the grounds - I should probably try to find the ground wire attachments and remove/clean them...