ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-11-2014   #1
Schrade

Default Thanks to Jeff - Shrek there...

Thanks to Jeff for getting me straight on his pipes, which I want to buy from him there.

I don't have headers yet, with the tune issue on the front burner, and I wanted to take his pipes from him, to FIRST link 'em to my OEM exhaust manifolds, THEN later when I get headers, just do a plug n play swap.

Won't work in this case..........

Lotta' guys would say 'no problem' - you CAN do it, just to sell their hardware, and then you're on your own to fab away some makeshift hookup.

So we're still lookin' into options here anyway, to make this work... My automatic, built inside a '95 LT1 Base Model donor case, might NOT be the issue, instead of the OEM-to-3" pipes.

And thanks for the snappics too - nice hardware!
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 01-11-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #2
Marc Haibeck

Default Re: Thanks to Jeff - Shrek there...

I noticed the solid exhaust mount at the rear axle gear case. Be aware that as the exhaust pipes heat, they will become about 3/8" longer from there forward.

If you observe the tips of an exhaust system that is mounted normally, you will see that they stick out about 1/2" longer when the exhaust system is hot.

With the solid mounting there will be a tremendous amount of force pressing against the headers. The same force will be trying to bend the torque beam.

The solid mount to the rear axle gear case should not be used. Use the OE muffler mounts, they let the exhaust system length grow freely when temperature of the exhaust pipes increase.
Marc Haibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #3
Shrek

All good points Marc and thank you for your valued input.

Guess i've been lucky with the three C4's i've used this type of mount on.
I have no problem adding the OEM style mounts and removing the rear mount for anyone interested in purchasing this system.

Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #4
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
All good points Marc and thank you for your valued input.

Guess i've been lucky with the three C4's i've used this type of mount on.
I have no problem adding the OEM style mounts and removing the rear mount for anyone interested in purchasing this system.

I believe that the multiple Torca "pre-formed" band style clamps in multiple locations on each mid-pipe maybe "negate" the dramatic/substantial expansion of the system. Maybe not but it seems likely, if those connections were slip-fit exhaust connections and welded or conventionally clamped for sure it would.

I hadn't seen the "for sale" until after seeing this post. I'd say it looks like an interesting offering and priced right. I don't believe I'd part with my Power Effect system for that. Mine is an original with maybe 5K miles and I've a set of new inlet pipes from "PE" for the install and a set of the LT1/4 inlets also.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-12-2014 at 08:47 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #5
Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I believe that the multiple Torca "pre-formed" band style clamps in multiple locations on each mid-pipe maybe "negate" the dramatic/substantial expansion of the system. Maybe not but it seems likely, if those connections were slip-fit exhaust connections and welded or conventionally clamped for sure it would.
Thank you for your input Dave! Those were my thoughts exactly, but without any way to prove it, I'm reluctant to stand behind a statement as such.

BTW...Those are my favorite style of clamp for that very reason!

Old 01-14-2014   #6
Shrek

OK, to remove any doubt, I have modified the upper mounting portion of the rear solid mount.

I'm leaving the lower portion of the bracket to keep the mufflers and muffler pipes in the proper position.

I have one front and one rear factory location hanger straps in place. A little weld and heat paint and they're ready to go!