ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-01-2014   #1
Z51JEFF

Default Tangled with a Viper today..........

I pull up to a light and theres a first Gen Viper GTS Coupe in the other lane.Im thinkin,why not.Light turns green so I take off,no smokey burnout but the back end did break loose,even into 2nd gear which surprised me.The GTS gets on it but I never did see the car again until I looked over my shoulder.I dont know if the guy was asleep or what but I was sure the car was going to walk me and keep on going but it never did.Im not into Vipers so Im not sure what the HP is on these,maybe 450?If the guy had no idea how quick an early ZR-1 was.............he does nowNo illegal activity took place during this display of extreme ballsiness.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #2
Blue Flame Restorations

Default Re: Tangled with a Viper today..........

Heeheehee.......!!!!!!
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014   #3
rhipsher

If he was trying to race you you'd know it. They launch off the line better than our Z's can. Our advantage is once we get going and get into the top end.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #4
Bob Eyres

My experience has been quite the opposite. At the drags, (sanctioned acceleration contests only, of course.), I've gone against several Vipers. The ZR-1 always left quicker, for the first 60ft. I usually did well until the 1/8mi. mark. Then the 10 cylinder monsters would reel me in and go by like a freight train. I think the Vipers are a bit harder to drive than the Z. Plus, you have the advantage of being the underdog. A lot of Viper owners look at the ZR-1 as just an old C4, 350c.i.? No problem...but Surprise, if you can get the jump on them. I've seen some guys panic and light up the tires trying to catch up. Then you have a chance, especially if they're on street tires.

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #5
mike100

Viper got 450 hp by 1997 (96 in the hardtop).

So they were mostly 400 or 415 hp with 450 lb/ft of tq. I've never had one play, ever. Maybe when the owners spin out once or twice real bad, they are forever afraid to be killed by the thing.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #6
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
I pull up to a light and theres a first Gen Viper GTS Coupe in the other lane.Im thinkin,why not.Light turns green so I take off,no smokey burnout but the back end did break loose,even into 2nd gear which surprised me.The GTS gets on it but I never did see the car again until I looked over my shoulder.I dont know if the guy was asleep or what but I was sure the car was going to walk me and keep on going but it never did.Im not into Vipers so Im not sure what the HP is on these,maybe 450?If the guy had no idea how quick an early ZR-1 was.............he does nowNo illegal activity took place during this display of extreme ballsiness.
Sweet....It is good to see that some of the group can use their cars between November and April.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #7
FU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
If he was trying to race you you'd know it..
What he said , you sure would.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #8
Hog

If you were on the throttle and he was just behind you, he was racing 100%. If you are at least comfortable with letting out clutch quickly with heavy throttle, you will beat 3/4 of the poser guys out there. You know, they guys that drive their sportscars like they were made of glass.
It's OK to drive your car nicely, but at the same time know what you are driving and how to make it perform.
These sports cars should have automatic transmissions for majority of guys that only drive them to exude their pocketbooks to the Jones'.
Vipers are hard to launch, and continue that momentum into 2nd gear. I have seen so many guys that simply got to WOT and sidestep the clutch, and then the 335's simply boil until the engine hits the limiter, and then stays on the limiter.

It does take practice, if you want to talk the talk while walking the walk.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote