ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-26-2013   #21
Kevin

Default Re: Look what I sat in today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post
Until the two valve pushrod engine starts wearing valve guides and throws a valve...and you hope that happens under warranty. I'd argue the reverse, ours are reliable. Like he said, I wonder why and how long they will be able to keep a single car factory open at all selling 10-12,000 cars a year. They've pulled everything in house now to keep them busy and there is nothing left to do after that. I'm sure there will be an initial "buy a c7" cause it's new push but after that, there are several better options and at these prices, you'd think about them. The body is so close to a copy of the latest Ferrari it's not funny only the engine is rather weak in comparison. there are more and more cars with 400+ hp nowadays and I can make a fair argument that anything in 400-500 hp is all you need and more so that opens the field up considerably especially when you consider v6 twin turbos some of which can churn out huge horsepowers on 3.5 to 4.0 liter engines.

The world is changing and this latest 2014 is not really much more than just a tweak of what was with the latest electronics applied. I will keep my 91 and thank you very much rather than buy one.
not in my experience....
Old 08-29-2013   #22
rkreigh

lt1 may not be the anvil that the LT5 is but it's not going to fall apart anytime soon. they have quite a bit of durability testing on it already and do the dyno torture test just like they did with the Lt5

come one guys, the new car will run 0-60 in 3.8 and quarter in 12.2, so it's not exactly slow and competative with the stock ZR-1 to be sure. not many stock ZR-1s run low 12s, but there are a few.... but overall I'm not in love with the styling, and there's much room for improvement there. the car will be difficult to mod at first and the ECM is much more complicated so it will be a while before the big HP rolls. but I have no doubt that we'll figure it out, vendors are chomping at the bit now!

for sure the ZR-1 is a MUCH more appealing car to me but there's no denying that technology marches on and alot of the concerns presented here aren't grounded in facts. chevy has done quite a bit of testing and the new car while it will likely have plenty of bugs that come with a new car, I'm betting it will be less than many other competative marques

overall, it's alot of technology for the buck, but it's a buck I don't have an I wouldn't trade the LSV for it

and since I can't get C7 money for the LSV, I'll drive it until it drops (which fortunately WAS NOT at carlisle)

Bob, you are right the F40 is a monster. first ferrari to break 200 and WAY ahead of it's time much like the ZR-1 there is one that shows up almost every weekend here in Great Falls Cars and Coffee. let me know if you'd like some pics to drool on. really nice car and much more exciting and "raw" than the newer stuff. all that cool hardware is exposed under a racing lexan rear hatch. exotic seats, and way cool looks!!

nice for the faint of heart or light of wallet though

Last edited by rkreigh; 08-29-2013 at 04:52 AM.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #23
LancePearson

Just out of curiosity, what max rpms would the dohc F40 run max? I raced at VIR one day with my 76 Vette and in another class was a guy with a Ferrari 430 I think it was from Md. Lots of visible carbon fiber feeding air to the engine......(at least I think that's what it was.) He was annoyed at his brake pads after running since he'd gone from ferrari factory pads at 1700 dollars a set plus labor to less expensive ones and they were not holding up so he wasn't going as fast into the corners.

Lance
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #24
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post
Just out of curiosity, what max rpms would the dohc F40 run max? I raced at VIR one day with my 76 Vette and in another class was a guy with a Ferrari 430 I think it was from Md. Lots of visible carbon fiber feeding air to the engine......(at least I think that's what it was.) He was annoyed at his brake pads after running since he'd gone from ferrari factory pads at 1700 dollars a set plus labor to less expensive ones and they were not holding up so he wasn't going as fast into the corners.

Lance
http://www.supercars.net/cars/638.html

about 7,000 rpms the same as the ZR-1, this was a LONG time ago

new LA Ferrari (what a stupid name!!) is up to 9500 and is the most powerful normally aspirated engine ever made ferrari seems to have gotten away from TT while bmw has strongly returned

I can't afford the ferrari and I'm not really into 2000 oil changes either.

Lance,

I'd LOVE to have a TT DOHC corvette! might not be a ZR-1 as I'm not sure I can muster the cash, but fortunately there are a few new TT ZR-1 projects being worked on as we speak, and if you want to buy one, there is an 800 rwhp SGC TT ZR-1 for sale

it's very well done, and if I had the cash, it would be mine. I missed out on buying Wills nice 385 LPE TT ZR-1 and Paul's car (rest his soul) which were both killer deals.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #25
LancePearson

Default Ferrari Engines

Since they are potential harbingers watered down of the future the Ferrari engines/transaxles are interesting. The latest cars like the 599 and now the F12 Berlinetta, its successor, don't have the high output twin turbo 2936CC small v8 of the F40 but a rather robust 6.3 liter dohc naturally aspirated V12 and runs fair rpms in the mid 8000's. Also generates a staggering 730 hp. Imagine that sucker with a twin turbo set up on it. Not sure how you keep 700 hp on the highway anyway much less 900 to 1000. The guys who I have talked to who have spent up to $50,000 custom adding twin turbos to LT5's reported in discussion just amazing amounts of horsepower as the result. That much pressure in a cylinder really taxes head gaskets apparently so one reported they let the piston sleeves rise above the block then machined matching grooves in the head so that when the head is slipped on the cylinder extends above the gasket area. Perhaps this is why the turbos don't have the 13.5 to 1 compression ratio of the Ferrari F12 engine and are more in the 8 to 9 to 1 range. Not sure.

What Ferrari is doing with V12's instead of small V8's with turbos is one approach. Ford, Cadillac with their all new v6 3.6 twin turbo generating 410 hp and 420 ft lbs of torque is another approach to generating power. The Caddy engine is already generating rather a lot of good press on the 2014 Caddy, replacing an older, rather more staid 3.6 liter v 6 performance.

I just remember the Peugot and Hyundai Genesis less than 4.0 liter v6 twin turbos raced at this year's Pikes Peak International hill climb where the Peugot which obliterated the prior record generated more than 900 hp from those engines and ran flat track times zero to sixty two mph of 1.8 seconds. Pro world class drivers drove them. 9 times world rally champ Simon drove the winning Peugot 'sedan.'

Here's the F12's engine which is naturally aspirated like our 5.7's.

The F12berlinetta uses a 6,262 cc (382 cu in), naturally aspirated 65° V12 engine shared with the Ferrari FF, producing 740 PS (544 kW; 730 hp) at 8500 rpm and 690 N·m (509 lb·ft) of torque at 6000 rpm, making it the most powerful road-legal Ferrari to date, only surpassed by the 2013 LaFerrari. This allows the F12berlinetta to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in an officially reported 3.1 seconds, with third party tests reporting as little as 2.8 seconds, 0 to 200 km/h (120 mph) in 8.5 seconds and a top speed of over 340 km/h (210 mph).[1][2][5] It is theoretically possible that the F12berlinetta can reach 362 km/h (225 mph).[citation needed]
The engine of the F12berlinetta has been designed to be more efficient than that of the 599, as well as more powerful. The engine management system is fitted with Ferrari's HELE start-stop system to reduce fuel consumption when idling. Ferrari reports that the F12berlinetta can achieve 18 mpg-imp (15.7 L/100 km; 15.0 mpg-US) – a 30% improvement over the 599 – and produces CO2 emissions of 350 g/km.[4]
Transmission[edit source | editbeta]
In common with the California, 458 Italia, FF and LaFerrari, the F12berlinetta transmits power through a 7-speed dual-clutch automated semi-automatic gearbox operated by the driver using 'paddles' behind the steering wheel. Compared to similar models, the F12berlinetta uses shortened gear ratios to match the power of the engine.[2][3]
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #26
Kevin

7750 is the f40 redline.