ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-06-2007   #11
DaveK

Default Re: What if...

I do mostly the commuting to work in the Aurora, similar drive to yours Aurora - so far not had chance to drive the ZR-1 far enough to tell. I was working on the basis of the govt figures which shows both having combined rating of 20mpg.

I understand your dislike now Jeff. I assumed it was a clutch based affair like the European semi-autos I've seen - might as well have a regular auto in that case.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007   #12
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette
It's a damn tiptronic. It's basically a shiftable auto (think of just going from 1 to 2 to D and then OD). If it was clutch based like the units Ferrari used, it would be soooooo much better.
the VW GTI uses clutches
Old 03-07-2007   #13
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK
I understand your dislike now Jeff. I assumed it was a clutch based affair like the European semi-autos I've seen - might as well have a regular auto in that case.
It is a regular hydra-matic, torque-converter auto. I believe you still can put it in Drive, etc, and toodle on your way. The paddles are just a way to give the driver more control over the automatic if they want. I don't see how it's a bad thing, you don't have to use them. It's simply a 6-speed instead of a 4-speed. I guess I don't see the problem with that?

I agree though that GM should look into some of these more modern semi-manual trannies like the dual clutch stuff, etc. I don't think GM manufactures any (certainly not many) manual trannies, so it wouldn't be a case of them developing anything, rather of them buying it. I seem to recall stuff like the DSG VW/Audi uses can't handle a lot of power? They don't use it on any V8s or bigger I don't believe.

If they had gone with something like the F1-style tranny Ferrari uses in lieu of the 6L80, I suspect many Cadillac owners would be pissed off. The 6-speed auto is also used in the STS-V and XLR-V. Those auto-manual things are reportedly not at all smooth for everyday driving. They are purely a performance item with a rather stiff trade-off. In fact, Maserati is now introducing a traditional automatic tranny on their Quattroporte due to the roughness of the Cambiocorsa (paddle-shift automatic clutch like Ferrari) transmission.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 03-07-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007   #14
tomtom72

I'm sorry for this but If GM still made the LT5 we would still be able to get parts for it......that work!

Okay I'll turn off my rant now!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote